There are many reasons why you may be looking to perform a hosting migration to transfer your website to a. Maybe you found a better price, you want greater reliability, better customer support, or more features.
Whatever your reason for switching, you will need to perform a web hosting migration in order to switch to afrom your .
As with any process, there are some important things you should know before you jump right in and get started. That’s why we’ve created this guide on how to transfer your website to a. Read it and you’ll be able to migrate your website without any hiccups like lost data or . For this article, we’ll describe the process of transferring your website to . But the process should be similar for most .
Let’s begin by answering a few important questions:
- Can you transfer a website to a ?
- What are the considerations for choosing your ?
- What do you need to have before transferring your website hosting?
- What are the steps to transfer your website to a ?
- How do you back up your site before transferring to a ?
Can you transfer your website to a?
If you are wondering if it is possible to transfer your website to a, the answer is yes.
There are a few things you need to take into account before starting the process though. But don’t worry, we’ll go over everything you need to know about hosting migration in this article.
What are the considerations for choosing your?
Let’s go over some of the most important considerations when choosing web hosting. These apply to any website owner. With so manyout there, it is important to find one that suits your website.
Your website requirements will vary depending on your situation. A growing business will have different web hosting needs than a job-seeker creating a website for their cv.
One of the most important considerations when choosing web hosting is security. A goodshould have tight security measures in place to protect your website from hackers and other threats.
Reliability is important for any website, especially if it is used for business. After all, you don’t want visitors typing in your URL only to find a ‘this webpage is not available’ message.refers to the percentage of time in which your website will be visible online. The higher the percentage, the closer your site will be to never going offline unexpectedly. As such, you would want to find a that provides as much as possible. For instance, offers a 99.9% guarantee – one of the best in the business.
Website speed is important these days, not only for a good user experience but also because Google prioritizes speed whensites in search results. You’ll want a web host that is at least as fast as the industry average. So, if plays an important role in your business strategy then the speed of your hosting is a major factor to consider.
What happens when you get stuck or run into problems with your website? Or, what about times when you may just have a question or two? In either case, it’s good to know you can get in touch with your web host for help. Somestrictly offer email support during certain hours. , on the other hand, offers award-winning customer support 24 hours a day. The helpful can be reached via live chat, WhatsApp, and telephone.
Finally, price is something that is important to all of us. In fact, for many people, it is one of the first considerations. When looking at the price of hosting, it’s important to also take into account the renewal cost. Also, look at how much the provider’s other plans cost. You may need to upgrade your plan down the road. If so, you don’t want to be caught off-guard by unexpectedly high prices.
There are plenty of other hosting features that may have more importance depending on your situation. Some of these are bandwidth, amount of storage, server locations, and backups. Click to read a more detailed article on web hosting considerations.
Related: How to choose the best for your online store
What do you need to perform a hosting migration?
Depending on the Managed . Or reach out to to learn about support with automated hosting migration.you sign up for, you may have access to automatic . In that case, you won’t need to follow the manual hosting migration instructions below. Learn how to migrate a with a
Are you moving a website with moving a . site from another host to? Here are some easy instructions on
Before you begin the process of manually transferring your website to, there are a few things you will need. Let’s discuss these now to make sure you have a successful hosting migration.
- A to another host, but don’t already own it, you’ll need to buy a domain from a first. from your previous host. If you want to move your
- A . with a . If you’re ready to start with , head over to choose from one of our popular
- Your and a copy of your database on your computer or in a cloud-based storage platform like Dropbox or Google Drive. You can also upload them directly to the new host if they offer that functionality.
- An (like ) so that you can upload your files from your computer to the new host’s server.
Don’t be alarmed if you don’t have a copy of your files or database yet (or an). We’ll be going over how to do everything now!
What are the steps to transfer your website to a: a
We’ve gone over what’s required before you can move your website to a. Now, let’s discuss the steps you will need to take to successfully transfer your website hosting to .
Before we begin, do know that you have different options of, which would determine the that you will need to go through.
You can choose to transfer your website manually, which means you will take care of the entire process of backing up your website, file transfer, uploading it to your friendly customer care team is on standby to help you manage the migration with ’s Managed .and pointing it to your new . If this sounds tedious for you, always remember that our
For those who want to try this out on your own, this customer is waiting.is straightforward and pretty easy to follow. If you have any questions or need some help, our friendly
Step 1. Sign up for aand choose your :
The first step is to decide which web page offers a great overview of the different hosting types available and can help you make a decision.is right for you. If you’re unsure, our
Here are some of the different types of webwe offer:
- Website hosting: This includes Linux, Windows, and Web Hosting Plus plans. Features include 24/7 network security, daily backups, access, global data centers, and more.
- websites built with WordPress. Features and benefits include one-click hosting migration, daily backups, and free email for the first year to name a few. : Own a ? These are for regular and
- Servers: These plans include virtual private server ( ) and dedicated servers for greater performance and control. These plans are popular for the most demanding business and development needs.
Once you’ve decided on a, take a moment to set up your . This process is pretty straightforward and only takes a few minutes to complete. You can find instructions on how to set up your here.
Step 2. Save & export your website’s:
The next step is to back up your. If you have access to your ‘s , we recommend using the File Manager tool to download a copy of your to your computer.
Creating a website backup can vary depending on your. But typically the process looks like this: navigate to File Manager > Website Backups > Create Backup. Once the backup has been created, you can download it to your computer. If you have created multiple backups over time, be sure to download the most recent version.
If you don’t have access toor would prefer not to use the File Manager tool, you can also use an like to connect to your and download the files that way.
Here’s how to use using . with. Click here for more help
- Navigate to the . Client website and download the free
- Connect to your web host’s yourdomain.com or the of your server
Username: Your username
Password: Your password
server. To do this, you will need to open and enter your ‘s credentials in the fields provided:Host:
- Once you’ve entered your ‘s credentials, click the Quickconnect button.
- After a few moments, you should see a listing of all of your in the Remote site section on the right-hand side of the screen:
- To download these files to your computer, select the files and folders you wish to download and click the download button.
- A new window will pop up asking you to choose a location on your computer to save the selected files. Choose a location and click the OK button.
- The selected files will now begin downloading to your computer and will appear in the Local site section on the left-hand side of the screen.
Step 3. Export your database:
Not all websites have a database. For instance, if your website is just a static page, you may not have one. If this is the case, you can skip this and the next couple of steps. Be sure to ask yourhost if you’re unsure.
If your website does have a database, you’ll need to export a copy in order to move your website to a. This includes websites using a (CMS) like WordPress, !, or Drupal. This can usually be done through your ‘s as well.
MySQL is the most common type of database. To export your, you can use from within your host’s dashboard. If you don’t have or if you have a different type of database, ask your host for instructions.
Here is how to export your database:
- Log into and navigate to the tool.
- In the left-hand sidebar, select the database you wish to export.
- Click the Export tab at the top of the screen.
- Select the Quick option from the export method dropdown menu.
- Click the Go button.
- A . file will now begin downloading to your computer. This is your database backup. Move it to the same location as the rest of your for safekeeping.
Step 4. Create your:
Once you have your database exported, you’ll need to create aon your .
How to create a:
- Go to the products page.
- Under Web Hosting, click Manage.
- Navigate to the admin within your account dashboard.
- Follow the steps in the Wizard to create the .
Here are more detailed instructions on how to create a within .
Step 5. Import your database:
After yourhas been created, you can import a copy of your old database into it. To do this, head back into and follow these instructions.
- In , select the name of the database you want to use.
- Select Import on the top menu.
- Click on Choose File.
- Select the file you want to import, then click Open.
- Click Go at the bottom of the page.
Head here for more help with importing a database.
Step 6. Modify your:
If you’ve made changes such as, username, or password, you may need to reconfigure some settings. This is to modify your so that they point to the . Depending on which (CMS) you are using, the instructions will be different. We recommend reaching out to support to help you in this step.
Here’s how to modify your.
- Open the . file you exported earlier in a text editor like Notepad or TextEdit.
- Replace all instances of your old (or ) with your .
- Save the file and close it.
- Now, open your website’s configuration file in a text editor. For WordPress, this is the . For Drupal, it’s the settings. file.
- Replace all instances of your old with the new one you created earlier. Also, replace all instances of your old domain with your .
- Save and close the file when you’re done.
Step 7. Upload your:
To upload your files, launchand click Quickconnect.
- Open your website’s root directory in the Remote site section,
- In the Local site section, open the location on your computer where you downloaded your .
- In the Local site section, select all of your and directories and drag them into the Remote site section. This will begin the upload process.
Step 8. Test your website:
You’re almost done! By now you have uploaded yourand imported your database. The next step is to test your to make sure everything is working correctly. Be sure to check out both the front-end and back-end of your website and identify any errors as early as possible. This would help you avoid website . Explore your new too!
Head here for detailed instructions on previewing your website.
If everything looks good, congratulations! You have successfully transferred your website andto your .
Step 9. Update your website’s( System) settings:
This is your. The last step is to update your website’s settings. This will tell the internet where to find your website’s . At this juncture, you will need the of your .
basically helps to translate to so that browsers are able to load your website. Every website has a , which maps a URL to an .
If you purchased your guide.through , you can update your settings by logging in to your account and clicking on the “ ” button next to your . If you need help locating your hosting , check out this
Click here for more help with managing within settings .
After that, your website should be accessible from its.
That’s it! By following these simple steps, you can succeed with a smooth web hosting migration. Once everything is up and running, be sure to delete yourto avoid being charged for two .
Getting started: Whyand how can help
Why trust’s web hosting?
is the world’s largest and with over 21 million customers worldwide. It’s easy to see why once you understand some of what’s on offer:
- Expert hosting customer support: is known for its award-winning 24/7 customer support.
- Superior performance and load times: Fast-loading websites are a priority and come standard with all of our web .
- Reliable web hosting with 99.9% guaranteed: With , there’s no need to worry about reliability. We offer one of the highest ratings in the industry backed by our service guarantee.
offers a wide range of that are ideal for both and seasoned webmasters. In addition to hosting, we offer services such as domains, online marketing, and enhanced security products. With , it’s easy for our customers to get everything they need to build and grow their online presence one place.
Hands off automated migration & hostingwith
With, our customer is standing by around the clock to help with any hosting migration questions.
For all our customers, you can now enjoy our free automated migration when you migrate your website to‘s web hosting!
If you’re a new customer to, your is part of our onboarding flow. Simply click on “Migrating an existing website” from your homepage screen and follow the instructions.
As for our existingcustomer, head on over to “My Hosting Dashboard” and select the option “Migrate website”. Thereafter, follow the steps on-screen.
If you would rather skip thecompletely, ask about our Managed .
- White Glove: With our White Glove service, we will handle everything related to moving your website’s content. This includes performing internal quality assurance checks. A hosting migration expert will schedule a QA with you. They will review the migration, address security, and setup, and switch the new hosting live.
- Saves you time: Self-migrating data can take time and puts your data at risk if there are any errors. White-glove can save you hours of time and headaches by removing the need for manual work.
- Peace of mind: Managed Services Migrations offers a quick and easy way to ensure that all content is migrated correctly.
Editor’s note: Ready to switch to industry-leading web hosting that meets your needs and budget? Find your plan with today!
Hands-on or hassle– it’s up to you!
There are many reasons why you might want to migrate yourto a new provider. Whatever your reason, the process to transfer your website is relatively simple. In fact, it can be completed in just a few steps without the hassle of multiple .
If you have any questions or need help with anything related to hosting or migrating your website, our customeris always here to help. You can reach us 24/7 by phone, chat, or email.
And if you would rather not deal with the hostingat all, ask about our Managed . We will take care of everything for you so that you can focus on running your business. Thanks for choosing !