According to recent statistics, Facebook Marketplace is used in 70 countries, by 800 million people monthly. It is used to browse, buy, or sell items, which gives retailers an opportunity to drive sales in a place where their consumers are already spending time. The Marketplace gives brands a chance to capitalize on the interactions already taking place on Facebook. So, If you’re interested in selling through the marketplace, this guide will go through all the details you’ll need to get started and provide you with tips to help boost your visibility and sales.
What is Facebook Marketplace?
In October 2016, Facebook announced the arrival of Facebook Marketplace. Facebook Marketplace is already built into the Facebook app, or on Facebook’s website. Facebook Marketplace is a digital marketplace where users can arrange to buy, sell and trade items with other people in their area. People can find what they’re looking for by filtering their results by location, category and price. By listing on Marketplace, you can reach buyers where they already are.
Why do you need to use Facebook Marketplace?
Facebook is an important tool for brands who are interested in reaching their target audience. Now imagine the possibility of not only reaching these potential buyers, but also selling your products to your targeted audiences.
The eCommerce market is expanding with more and more opportunities to sell in different places. Facebook Marketplace gives brands a chance to capitalize on the interactions already taking place on Facebook. This gives retailers a chance to discover new potential sales for their products in a place where their consumers already exist.
Below are some of the benefits you’ll get from selling on the marketplace:
- Widespread reach: Facebook Marketplace offers an easy way to help increase the discovery of a brand and its products.
- Personalized customer experience: The Marketplace shows products relevant to consumers, helping your business find the right customers. This helps ensure that your product is being seen by the right audience, ultimately resulting in an increased opportunity that the interaction will lead to a purchase.
- It is for Free: Unlike other marketplaces, Facebook Marketplace charges no listing fees.
How to sell on Marketplace
Selling on Facebook Marketplace is an easy process, just a few simple steps and you’re all set up:
- Login to your Facebook account
- Go to Marketplace
- Click on ‘Sell Something’
- Take a photo of your item, or add it from your camera roll
- Enter a product name, description and price
- Confirm your location and select a category
How can you increase your visibility on the marketplace?
There are several ways to edit your Marketplace listing to attract more buyers and increase your visibility.
- Optimize your listing by adding more keywords in the title and description.
- Write a longer description with more details about the item.
- Hire a professional photographer to take pictures of your products.
Try one or more of these tips and see if they work.
Facebook Marketplace Rules
To learn more about Marketplace rules, you can view the Facebook Marketplace Commerce Policies here.
1. Items that can’t be sold
There is a list of items that are not allowed to be sold on Marketplace including:
- Adult products or services.
- Digital media and electronic devices.
- Event tickets.
- Gift Cards.
- Healthcare items (thermometers, first-aid kits, etc.).
- Illegal, prescription or recreational drugs.
- Tobacco products or tobacco paraphernalia.
- Weapons, ammunition, or explosives.
2. You must sell physical items only
Anything that isn’t a physical product for sale cannot be sold, like:
- Services like housekeeping
3. The item’s description must match the image
The photos of the item you upload must match the title and description that you give it.
4. Before and after pictures are prohibited
Like a photo showing weight loss journey.
If your item is de-listed and you don’t think you’ve violated the Policies, you may appeal the decision and Facebook will take another look. If you come across an item for sale that you feel violates the Commerce Policies or Facebook’s Community Standards, you have the option to report the item and the seller.
Tips for selling on Facebook Marketplace
- Orders must be shipped within 3 days and received within 7 days.
- There will be lots of communication/messages from buyers, so be patient and answer all your buyers’ questions as professionally and in a timely manner. Customer support is an often underused way to make your brand voice shine and engage with your customers.
- Remember to take high quality pictures: Use a plain, clean background, take product pictures from different angles, use professional cameras to take high-quality pictures and make sure that the lighting is good and the product is clearly visible.
Do you think you’re ready to sell?
Do you know that the marketplace isn’t the only place to sell things? You can also start an eCommerce website using our WordPress Ecommerce Hosting, powered by WooCommerce. You can check this article that explains how to start an eCommerce website easily, and make sure you check all our eCommerce related blogs here to assist you with your journey.
After reading the steps to start selling on marketplace and some tips to help boost your product’s visibility in the marketplace. Now is the time to start selling!