How to Buy Expired Domains – Find & Buy Expired Domains.
Picture this: you’ve found the perfect domain name for your new online venture. It’s catchy, memorable, and just oozes potential. But alas, someone else had the same idea years ago and registered the domain. However, there’s a silver lining – the domain has expired, and it’s up for grabs. But how do you buy an expired domain? Let’s dive into the exciting world of expired domains and find out how you can find, evaluate, and buy them, all while taking advantage of GoDaddy’s tools and services.
Related: 25 most expensive domain names in the world.
What is Expired Domains?
An expired domain/dropped domain is a domain name that its owner hasn’t renewed by the expiration date. When a domain expires, it enters a grace period, during which the original owner can renew it. If the owner doesn’t renew the domain within the grace period, it enters a redemption period, followed by a pending delete status. After this, the domain registrar releases the domain back into the market, and anyone can register it as a new domain.
What’re the Benefits of Buying Expired Domains?
Buying expired domain names can provide several advantages:
- Existing Backlinks: Expired domains may have a strong backlink profile with high-quality links from authoritative websites, especially TLDs (Top-Level-Domains). These backlinks can help improve your website’s search engine rankings, driving more organic traffic. Tools like Majestic, Moz, and Ahrefs can help you analyze a domain’s backlink profile.
- Existing Traffic: Expired/old domains might still receive visitors from old backlinks, search engine results, or direct URL entries. Capitalize on this existing traffic to jumpstart your new website’s audience.
- SEO Benefits: Search engines often favor older, more established domains. Purchasing an expired domain with a good domain age, page rank, and trust flow can result in better SEO performance and higher search rankings.
- Domain Authority and Page Authority: An expired domain with existing domain authority (DA) and page authority (PA) could perform well in search engine rankings. Higher DA and PA scores indicate a more likely chance to rank well.
Make use of Existing Backlinks
Deleted domains often come with existing backlinks from other websites. These backlinks can provide a strong foundation for your new website’s SEO, helping you increase your website ranking in search engine results. It’s like inheriting a treasure trove of precious gems from a long-lost relative – except, in this case, it’s digital gold.
Make use of Existing Traffic
Deleted domains may still receive traffic from users following old links or typing in the URL directly. By purchasing an old domain, you can redirect this traffic to your new website leading to increased website traffic and giving you a valuable head-start over starting from scratch.
Older domains are often seen as more trustworthy and authoritative by search engines. Buying an old domain can give you an SEO boost due to its age – like fine wine, some things just get better with time.
What Can you use Expired Domains for?
Expired domains have several potential uses:
- Boost Your Main Website’s Authority: Redirect the expired domain’s existing backlinks and domain authority to your primary website to improve its SEO performance and eventually get a higher authority site.
- Build a Private Blog Network (PBN): Create PBNs using expired domains to link back to your main website and improve search engine rankings. However, use caution, as PBNs can lead to search engine penalties if mismanaged.
- Recover and Rebuild Old Websites: If the expired domain had valuable content, use the Wayback Machine to recover it and rebuild the site. Improve the design, add new content, and relaunch the site to capitalize on existing traffic, backlinks, and domain authority.
- Sell for Profit: Domain investing can be profitable. Find domains, hold onto them and sell them later for a profit through providers like Flippa, Sedo, or GoDaddy Auctions.
(1) Increase main Website Authority
You can use an expired domain to increase your website’s authority. By redirecting the expired domain to your primary site, you can leverage its existing backlinks and domain authority to boost your main site’s SEO.
(2) Build your Own Private Blog Network (PBN)
This is a method of Search Engine Optimization (SEO). Some people buy expired domains to create a private blog network (PBN). PBNs are networks of websites designed to link to a single “money” site, helping it rank higher in search engine results. However, be cautious with PBNs, as they can be risky and may result in penalties from search engines if not managed correctly.
(3) Recover the Old Website & Rebuild it
If the expired domain had a website with valuable content, you could use the Wayback Machine to recover the old website and rebuild it. You can then add new content, improve the design, and relaunch the site, taking advantage of the existing traffic, backlinks, and domain authority.
H3: (4) Sell it for Profit
Domain investing is a lucrative business. You can buy expired domains, hold onto them, and sell them later for a profit. Domain investors look for domains with high potential value, strong metrics, and a desirable name.
Things to Consider When Buying an Expired Domain
Consider the following factors when buying expired domains:
- Domain Age: Older domains may be more trustworthy to search engines. Check domain age using a WHOIS lookup tool or GoDaddy’s WHOIS database.
- Traffic: Analyze the domain’s traffic using tools like Ahrefs or SEMrush. Higher traffic indicates a strong online presence, beneficial for your new website.
- Backlinks Profile: Evaluate the backlink profile using tools like Moz or Majestic. Look for high-quality, relevant backlinks from authoritative websites, as they contribute to better SEO performance.
- Overall Website Quality: Examine the previous website associated with the expired domain using the Wayback Machine. Avoid domains linked to spammy or low-quality websites, as they may negatively impact your new site’s reputation.
- Google Index Status: Ensure the expired domain is not penalized or blacklisted by Google. Check this using Google’s “site:” search operator or Google Search Console.
Note: The value of a domain is determined by many factors, like the length, and the domain extension. Com domains tend to be the most expensive.
(1) Domain Age
Older domains carry more authority with search engines. Check the domain age using a WHOIS lookup tool, like the one provided by GoDaddy.
Older domains can help you with your search engine optimization SEO.
Use tools like Ahrefs or SEMrush to analyze the traffic of an expired domain. Higher traffic indicates that the domain has a solid online presence and can potentially bring visitors to your new website.
(3) Backlinks Profile
Evaluate the backlink profile of the expired domain using tools like Moz or Majestic. Look for high-quality, relevant backlinks from authoritative websites, as they contribute to better SEO performance and increase website rankings
(4) Overall Website Quality
Use the Wayback Machine to examine the previous website associated with the expired domain. Look for quality content, good design, and a user-friendly layout. Avoid domains associated with spammy or low-quality websites, as they may have a negative impact on your new site’s reputation.
(5) Google Index Status
Check the Google Index Status, this is very important to make sure the expired domain is not penalized or blacklisted by Google. You can check this using Google’s “site:” search operator or Google Search Console.
GoDaddy Expired Domains Auctions, Value Appraisal & Domain Names Investing.
GoDaddy offers tools and services to help find and buy expired domains:
- GoDaddy Domain Valuation Tool: Estimate the value of an expired domain based on factors like domain age, keyword relevance, and existing backlinks.
- GoDaddy Domain Value Appraisal: Get a comprehensive analysis of a domain’s worth, including comparable sales data and market trends.
- GoDaddy Domain Name Auctions: Bid on and buy expired domains through GoDaddy Auctions, a marketplace with an extensive inventory and user-friendly search tools where the highest bidder gets the domain.
- GoDaddy Domain Investing: GoDaddy provides a wide range of tools and services for domain investors, including domain registration, domain management, and domain investing resources. By partnering with GoDaddy, you can make the most of your domain investments and grow your digital portfolio.
In conclusion, buying expired domains can be a rewarding venture if done correctly. By understanding the benefits, potential uses, and essential factors to consider when purchasing expired domains, you can make well-informed decisions and give your online projects a head start. GoDaddy offers a range of tools and services, including GoDaddy Auctions, Domain Valuation Tool, and Domain Value Appraisal, to help you find and buy the perfect expired domain. Make sure to include all the terms mentioned above in your research, analysis, and decision-making process to ensure you make the most of your expired domain investment. And don’t forget, when building your new website, GoDaddy’s Website Builder can provide you with a seamless, user-friendly experience to create a professional and high-quality online presence.
GoDaddy Domain Valuation Tool
GoDaddy’s Domain Valuation Tool helps you determine the estimated value of an expired domain, based on factors like domain age, keyword relevance, and existing backlinks. This tool can guide you in making informed decisions when buying expired domains.
GoDaddy Domain Value Appraisal
GoDaddy’s Domain Value Appraisal service provides a comprehensive analysis of a domain’s worth, including comparable sales data, market trends, and other factors. This service can help you find hidden gems among expired domains.
GoDaddy Domain Name Auctions
GoDaddy Auctions is a marketplace where you can bid on and buy expired domains. With a vast inventory and user-friendly search tools, GoDaddy Auctions makes it easy to find and purchase the perfect expired domain for your needs.
Investing in Domain Names with GoDaddy
GoDaddy offers a wide range of tools and services to help you invest in domain names, including domain registration, domain management, and domain investing resources. By partnering with GoDaddy, you can make the most of your domain investments and grow your digital portfolio.
Here’s a tutorial on how to buy & sell domains:
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
Some answers to your frequently asked questions:
Can I buy a domain after it expires?
Yes, you can buy a domain after it expires. Expired domains go through a grace period, a redemption period, and a pending delete status before becoming available for new registration. You can purchase an expired domain through auctions or backorder services like GoDaddy Auctions.
What is the best way to buy an expired domain?
The best way to buy an expired domain is to use a domain auction platform like GoDaddy Auctions or a backorder service. These platforms allow you to bid on expired domains and secure them before they become available for general registration.
How do I buy an expired domain GoDaddy?
To buy an expired domain on GoDaddy, sign up for a GoDaddy Auctions account, search for your desired domain, and place a bid. Monitor the auction and increase your bid if necessary. Once you win the auction, follow the payment and domain transfer process to complete the purchase.
Buying expired domains can be a rewarding venture if done correctly. By understanding the benefits, potential uses, and essential factors to consider when purchasing expired domains, you can make well-informed decisions and give your online projects a head start. GoDaddy offers a range of tools and services, including GoDaddy Auctions, Domain Valuation Tool, and Domain Value Appraisal, to help you find and buy the perfect expired domain. Don’t forget to promote your new website using GoDaddy’s Website Builder, a user-friendly platform that enables you to create stunning websites without any coding knowledge. With GoDaddy’s comprehensive suite of tools, services, and support, you can confidently embark on your journey to find, evaluate, and purchase expired domains that can contribute to your online success.
Now that you have a solid understanding of expired domains, it’s time to roll up your sleeves, dive into the world of domain auctions and backorders, and uncover the digital gems that will help your online projects flourish. Happy hunting!
Image by: James Sutton via Unsplash.