With spring in full bloom, it’s time to prep your eCommerce site for Mother’s Day gifts. According to the National Retail Federation, Mother’s Day is the third-largest retail holiday, and shoppers are planning to buy gifts not only for their moms, but also for their wives, girlfriends, sisters, and daughters.
So if you want to get in on the action, now is the best time to make sure your store is ready for an influx of traffic, sales, and most importantly, amazing gifts. In this article, we’ll share a few tips that will help you prepare your online store for Mother’s Day sales.
How do businesses celebrate Mother’s Day?
You are probably wondering, how can a business celebrate mother’s day. Businesses can celebrate Mother’s Day in various ways, including:
- Offering exclusive gift ideas for the best mother’s day gift. Bestseller options include skincare products, home decor, wallets, mattresses, and Kindle devices. Create gift boxes or curated sets to make shopping easier.
- Partnering with famous brands like Kate Spade and Saks to offer high-quality and luxurious products.
- Celebrating all mother figures by promoting gifts for grandmothers, aunts, and other maternal figures.
- Running a limited-time promotion or flash sale for Mother’s Day.
I will share some insights into how businesses can effectively market for Mother’s Day and help shoppers pick the perfect gift. Let’s explore the following topics:
9 ways to prepare your online store for Mother’s Day sales
The following tips will help you organize your products to highlight relevant categories for Mother’s Day sales, build buzz and drive traffic from social media, and track your stats so you can analyze your success.
- Highlight relevant products.
- Update product descriptions.
- Evaluate shipping and returns policies.
- Check upsells and cross-sells.
- Create a Mother’s Day gift special incentive.
- Test the checkout process.
- Test the rest of the site.
- Install Google Analytics.
- Start marketing.
Ready to get your eCommerce website prepped for more Mother’s Day sales? Let’s go!
1. Highlight relevant products
Go through your store’s inventory and note the products that would qualify as Mother’s Day gifts to shoppers. You can create a special category for those products or tag them as Mother’s Day gifts. Then, you can feature the category or the tag on your home page, which makes it easy for online shoppers to browse the products and make purchases.
2. Update product descriptions
Appealing product descriptions can play a huge role on your conversion rate, so now is a good time to go through your product descriptions and spice up the copy to make it more relevant for Mother’s Day sales.
Make sure the copy accurately describes the products and highlights the benefits to show how considering and thoughtful gifts they represent.
Evaluate product photos and consider updating them or adding a video of them in use as a reference. You’ll also want to ensure that product reviews are easy to spot as they can build trust with new buyers.
3. Evaluate shipping and returns policies
Shipping and return policies should always be kept up to date — but this is even more important during major holidays when getting the product shipped and delivered on time is crucial.
Not only is it important to make sure your policies are up to date and easy to find, you’ll also want to go through your records and see if you’ve had any customer complaints about the shipping process.
If your customers aren’t happy with a particular shipping company, now would be a good time to change them. If you had no complaints, get in touch with them and double-check their estimated delivery times for Mother’s Day to ensure your customers won’t have any issues.
When it comes to your return policy, evaluate the return time frame, as well as details such as who is responsible for shipping costs in case of a return and then update accordingly.
4. Check upsells and cross-sells
It’s a good idea to use this time to go through individual product pages and see what shows up as related and recommended products. You’ll want to make sure that the products are in line with the main product to increase the chances of a successful upsell and cross-sell. Double-check categories that are selected and consider updating them to better reflect the upcoming holiday.
5. Create a Mother’s Day special incentive
Creating a special incentive for Mother’s Day can increase the number of sales your store will make. A promotional banner at the top that counts down ‘til Mother’s Day is a great way to introduce urgency, especially when you pair it with a limited-time incentive or the latest mother’s day deals.
6. Test the checkout process
Once you’ve updated your product descriptions and policies and created a special incentive, it’s time to test your checkout process.
The checkout page is one of the most important pages on your site, and if it’s too complicated or too long, you risk losing buyers due to cart abandonment.
You’ll want to make sure your checkout process is straightforward and easy to complete, without asking for unnecessary details.
7. Test the rest of your site
Even though the checkout process is a crucial part of the buyer’s journey, that doesn’t mean you should ignore the rest of your site. Take a few minutes to test the rest of your site using a tool like Google Pagespeed Insights or Pingdom Tools to make sure your site loads fast. According to Kissmetrics, a slow-loading website can negatively impact your conversion rates.
You can also use a service like Locust to see how your site will perform during a large influx of traffic. If you experience downtime or if your website slows down considerably, it might be a good time to upgrade your business hosting plan.
8. Install Google Analytics
Another important step is to install Google Analytics on your site if you haven’t already. Doing so will allow you to gain insight into your site visitor behavior and show you where exactly the conversion happens, which products are the most popular, and much more. If you already have Google Analytics installed, consider setting up new conversion goals for the Mother’s Day sales period so you can see exactly how your store performed and create an even better conversion funnel for next year.
9. Start marketing
Now that your store is prepped for Mother’s Day sales, the last tip is to start your marketing and promotion. Use your social media accounts to advertise Mother’s Day products and the incentive you have created and don’t forget to send a promotional email to your list.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs):
Some answers to your frequently asked questions:
How do you market for Mother’s Day?
Mother’s Day is a great opportunity for retailers to boost sales and attract new customers. To effectively market for this special day, businesses can:
- Create a dedicated landing page for Mother’s Day gift ideas and promotions, featuring select items, gift sets, and limited edition products.
- Offer special Mother’s Day deals, such as sitewide discounts, gift cards, and free gifts with purchase. Use promo codes, coupons, and discount codes to incentivize shoppers to checkout.
- Collaborate with social media influencers to promote gift ideas and drive traffic to the site. Share last-minute gift ideas and encourage customers to shop for mother’s day gifts at home.
- Run a giveaway campaign on social media or host a pop-up event to generate buzz and attract customers. Use templates to design visually appealing social media posts and email newsletters.
- Utilize SEO techniques to increase the visibility of your Mother’s Day promotion on search engines.
What are the best-selling items?
The best-selling items for Mother’s Day include:
- Skincare products, such as moisturizers, facial masks, and serums, as they make great gifts for mothers who love to pamper themselves.
- Home decor items, like candles, picture frames, and throw pillows, which can add a personal touch to any living space.
- Wallets, handbags, and jewelry are popular choices for mothers who love fashion and accessories.
- Mattresses and bedding sets are great gifts for mothers who prioritize sleep and comfort.
- Amazon gift cards or gift codes are perfect for last-minute shoppers who need a great gift option quickly.
In conclusion, businesses can take advantage of the Mother’s Day shopping season by offering attractive promotions, collaborating with influencers, and promoting gift ideas and Mother’s Day gift guides on social media. By providing great gifts and deals, retailers can boost sales and attract new customers, making Mother’s Day a great opportunity to grow their business.
Mother’s Day will be here sooner than you think. Use the tips in this article to prepare your online store for Mother’s Day sales. Happy selling!