With the continuous development of the e-commerce platforms and its spread in various countries in the world, the need to enhance the culture of paying and receiving money online began to increase. And people began looking for a way to organize and facilitate online financial transactions between clients and merchants. So, online payment gateways appeared. But, what is it all about? What are the criteria for choosing the suitable and right one? And which ones are more popular in the Arab region?
What are online payment gateways?
They are an electronic technology used as an intermediary or a third party on e-commerce sites and platforms to secure collecting funds from customers and send them to the merchant’s bank account. Payment methods on online payment gateways vary between credit cards, online banking services, e-wallets, or cash payments.
Meanwhile, the second most popular way for online purchases is cash with 23% of the e-commerce market, followed by bank transfers at 14%, and e-wallets at 11%.
How to choose the right online payment gateway?
The question that is often asked when talking about online payment gateways is how to choose the appropriate payment gateway for your store and your customers. Choosing an inappropriate online payment gateway will cost you money, time, and customers as well. Here are some criteria that you should follow when choosing your store’s online payment gateway:
- Target audience: Defining the target group for your online store will make it easier for you to choose the correct online payment gateway. Geolocation, for example, allows you to ensure that the payment gateway operates in the target country. On the other hand, if your customers are aged 50 and over, the probabilities of them knowing electronic currencies are poor. Therefore, you should not use the online payment gateways that use only electronic currencies. We then encourage you to choose an online payment gateway that supports payment upon receipt.
- Cost and fees charged: The total cost of the online payment gateway must be taken into consideration, in addition to the monthly fees and fees charged for each payment made through the portal. Most online payment gateways have a 2.9% fee rate + 30 cents per payment. If your business primarily deals in transactions with high financial sums, be sure to search for payment gateways that provide services for specific monthly fees and low transaction fees.
- Security: When it comes to receiving online payments, the security of your online payment gateway should be your priority. Ensure that the portal you choose is compatible with PCI DSS Level 1. It guarantees you and your customer the privacy and protection of your sensitive financial information.
- Supporting different currencies: If you are doing business internationally, you need to make sure that your online payment gateway can handle payments in different currencies and from different countries. It is extremely important to allow your customers to pay in their currency. You must also check the value of the fees involved in transactions in foreign currencies.
- Allowed credit card types: The most commonly used credit cards are Visa, MasterCard, and Amex. All these card types are accepted by most payment gateways. However, if your customers usually pay you with other types of cards, then you need to make sure that your payment gateway supports that card.
The most popular online payment gateways in the Arab region?
Vapulus online payment gateway was established in 2016 in Egypt. It was rated in February 2020 according to “Finance Online” as one of the 15 best online payment gateways in the world. It is also considered one of the most important online payment gateways in the United Arab Emirates, Egypt, and some Gulf countries.
Vapulus charges no transaction, monthly, cross-border, subscription, or any other hidden fees. Vapulus has an absolute zero fee mantra. It also has a PCI certification for data security standards. It offers its users a wide range of offers and discounts.
Payfort has great confidence as it is now owned by one of the largest international trading companies “Amazon”, after purchasing it from its founders in the United Arab Emirates. Payfort attracts startups and small companies due to their low fees that sometimes do not exceed zero with the payment of fixed monthly fees.
The most important thing that distinguishes it is safety and simplicity. It also supports fast integration methods, and receives electronic payments from most of the world. In addition to providing detailed reports of all the payments that occur through it.
Moyasar was established in Saudi Arabia. It is considered one of the most prominent online payment gateways in the MENA region. Therefore, a huge number of online stores in the Arab region and the Gulf region in particular use it.
Moyasar provides the ability to pay through various means such as credit cards, payment accounts, etc., in addition to invoicing and permanent reporting services, and easy connectivity through APIs with the ability to comply with a large number of administrative, accounting and financial systems.
PayTabs is gaining popularity in the Gulf countries, especially in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Qatar and Kuwait. Its most unique feature is its support for more than 160 different international currencies and the safe and simple payment methods. It also provides an advanced system to prevent online store fraud with a professional customer service specialist in resolving legal disputes.
Paypal is one of the most popular online payment gateways in the Arab region, and millions of people around the world depend on it, for its main advantage which is the ease of use. Also, it is one of the most secure and fast electronic payment transactions systems. In addition to that, its commission is low as it starts from 3.4 percent and charges $0.30 for every transaction.
In this article, we have provided you with many online payment gateways that may l that may suit your customer and business type. Each gateway will allow you to collect payments from your customers equally. The real difference is in the side features provided, the overall experience of using the portal and how easy and fast it can be integrated into your online store.