• GoDaddy Community
  • Advice on Improving Your Website
  • Advice on Improving Your Website

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

Completely lost and no idea how to start a blog....

Hello,

I am so so lost... I have just got an account and domain name through godaddy. Now I would very much like to start a blog but for some reason don't know where to start. I heard of wordpress but when going there I download the software, double click on it and then the whole file opens with different subfiles?????!!!...no idea what to do.

Please can anyone help me..everywhere I read online it is easy yet I am finding it very challenging and getting completely lost.

Thank you for any one for any advice!

G

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
    Super User IV

@NewbieG 

You have a couple of options - I suggest you may want to look at GoDaddy's Website + Marketing Product which is a template / drag and drop Do It Yourself system.

If you might want to do more with the site. You might want to consider the Managed WordPress platform.

Also depending on what you are looking for, you may want to look for a local web developer who can work with you on maintaining and updating the site with the content you provide.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
    Super User IV

@NewbieG 

You have a couple of options - I suggest you may want to look at GoDaddy's Website + Marketing Product which is a template / drag and drop Do It Yourself system.

If you might want to do more with the site. You might want to consider the Managed WordPress platform.

Also depending on what you are looking for, you may want to look for a local web developer who can work with you on maintaining and updating the site with the content you provide.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

Thanks for your help and went with the godaddy option.

😉

Super User II

@NewbieG,

To add to the guidance from @PL281 ...

=> Most hosting will either have a WordPress install tool or with Managed WordPress hosting, WordPress is installed for you.  So you never have to unpack those files and have to worry about doing anything with them or uploading them.

=> If you just want a Blog, I would go with WordPress.  Once it is installed you have a dashboard that allows you to setup add and edit your content whenever you like.  While W+M is an easy solution, the "blog" option is not as feature-rich and flexible as WordPress.

=> Either way you are going to have a learning curve while getting used to how each platform works.  

Depending on your goals, IOW why you want to have a blog and what your expectations are, can also determine which platform to use.  If you want to share more information on your project, we are happy to comment further.

HTH! 😉

Judith
    "Actually, you can." ~ Anon

Thank you so much @Muse  😉