cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Domain broker service billing issue (non-refundable)

When seeking domain broker services, there're two things one is looking for:

1. Successfully reaching out to the  owner of the domain

2. Negotiating the acquisition of the domain

My frustration is on #1: the fact that the whole fee is not refundable irrespective of the outcome is a crooked business model. I asked a GoDaddy agent on what are the assurances and proof/evidence that the work is done, and the answer was "I can assure you that we've got a dedicated team on this", and he diverted the conversation to negotiating with the owner of the domain bla bla.

If at least a portion of the fee could be retained, irrespective of the outcomes, that would make better sense, rather than retaining the whole of it. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Super User II Super User II
Super User II

I don't think that's a flaw, that's a feature. I have had many great experiences utilizing the GoDaddy Domain Broker Service and a few bad experiences. I probably should say that I classify "bad experiences" as not having secured the domain though that may be no fault of the actual Domain Broker Service.

Think of the upfront fee you pay as a deposit. I've watched enough People's Court to know that deposits are typically nonrefundable. Just like a mechanic might charge to check out your car before they did any work the Domain Broker team charge for their expertise.

If the broker team spends for (4) hours sorting out things with no result the fee is all they get. Know that earning a commission is enough incentive to secure the domain for you. In my experience I have gotten much better prices when using the Domain Broker team over negotiating on my own. They are professionals, they do this everyday and they know values, comparables like it's their job (it's actually their job to know). I've even had them steer me to a more cost efficient domain that turned out to work better for my needs.

I've both bought and sold hundreds of domains over the years and my interactions and dealings with GoDaddy Domain Service team have been some of the most professional and efficient in the business.

I will say again I haven't always had a positive outcome but I've always had a positive customer experience. The nominal amount you pay to the team is more than worth the headache in my opinion. Say nothing of the purchase and transaction security the team offers. I had a client who was quoted in the thousands for a domain that the broker team got for hundreds. The service really pays for itself. I hope that you have better experiences in the future and find the value in the Domain Broker Service.

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Super User II Super User II
Super User II

I don't think that's a flaw, that's a feature. I have had many great experiences utilizing the GoDaddy Domain Broker Service and a few bad experiences. I probably should say that I classify "bad experiences" as not having secured the domain though that may be no fault of the actual Domain Broker Service.

Think of the upfront fee you pay as a deposit. I've watched enough People's Court to know that deposits are typically nonrefundable. Just like a mechanic might charge to check out your car before they did any work the Domain Broker team charge for their expertise.

If the broker team spends for (4) hours sorting out things with no result the fee is all they get. Know that earning a commission is enough incentive to secure the domain for you. In my experience I have gotten much better prices when using the Domain Broker team over negotiating on my own. They are professionals, they do this everyday and they know values, comparables like it's their job (it's actually their job to know). I've even had them steer me to a more cost efficient domain that turned out to work better for my needs.

I've both bought and sold hundreds of domains over the years and my interactions and dealings with GoDaddy Domain Service team have been some of the most professional and efficient in the business.

I will say again I haven't always had a positive outcome but I've always had a positive customer experience. The nominal amount you pay to the team is more than worth the headache in my opinion. Say nothing of the purchase and transaction security the team offers. I had a client who was quoted in the thousands for a domain that the broker team got for hundreds. The service really pays for itself. I hope that you have better experiences in the future and find the value in the Domain Broker Service.

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

View solution in original post