cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Question About Transferring a Domain Out of GoDaddy

I started the process of transferring my domain out of Godaddy. The status at my new registrar  is that they are waiting for Godaddy to release the domain. Followed all the steps, entered my confirmation number etc... But, so far nothing has happened, and if I check the Transfers page of Domain Management it says  I "have no transfers out underway". Has anyone ever seen that? Do all domain transfers go into the pending transfers screen?

8 REPLIES 8
New

Re: Question About Transferring a Domain Out of GoDaddy

@beswald, I believe you should check your Domain Lock status. Otherwise, everything should run smoothly. Aside from the Domain Lock, you should also retrieve the EPP code in order to transfer it completely. The new registrar will most likely ask for it.

Domain is unlocked, received code from Godaddy and provided to new registrar. Shouldn't be held up by anything.

Thanks, it probably will go through without a problem, I just expected to see it pop up in pending transfers out and that remains blank.

Helper V

@beswald, did it transfer?

Yes, thank you.

On the 5th day after requesting transfer it showed up as pending, I accepted and it went.

Highlighted
Solution

The 5 days after code acceptance is intended as your opportunity to decline (or accept) a transfer away. For most domains, after the auth code has processed (assuming the domain is unlocked) you will have the option to expedite or reconsider a transfer away during those 5 days.

Note: The option is found under "Pending Transfers Out" and this must be clicked to see any pending transfers. Otherwise (again in most cases) a domain transfers automatically 5 days after the code is processed. There are some exceptions for country code (ccTLD) domains as the Registry Rules may be different. Now that I've shared the "why" this may help others in understanding the how:

https://www.godaddy.com/help/accepting-or-declining-a-transfer-to-another-registrar-6040

Hi,

I am moving 2 domains away from Godday, both have the correct contact details and are unlocked.

The .co.uk has started ok but the .com has "disabled" on the "transfer domain away from godaddy" link.

I have had the domains since last September so outside of the exclusion period.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Just to add the option to transfer is disabled so cant start the process of transfering out

I am transferring out a domain and had to update the emaill address on it. ICANN stipulates that such changes will result in a 60 day lock down of the domain UNLESS the owner specifies otherwise. Godaddy provides a toggle to do so and I set it to off. However, when submitting the form (clicking the Submit button) the toggle "magically" turned itself on. And now I am locked in with godaddy for 60 days - just 2 days after my domain is set to renew and godaddy to collect one final payment. Coincidence? I think not.

A very disappointed ex-customer.