cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Transferring a Domain to GoDaddy from Wix

I can hear it now, 'not another one who won't search for the answers'.  But thing is, the last time I did this GoDaddy took care of it, now it seems I have to do it and I haven't a clue.

I used Wix to design a page, and now I want to transfer the site to my GoDaddy registered domain, but something tells me I won't be able to use that site with the domain unless I pay either Wix or GoDaddy?  Is this an accurate reading of my poor decision to use someone else's design program? 😞

Say it's easier than I'm imagining? 🙂

5 REPLIES 5
Super User II Super User II
Super User II

Re: Transferring a Domain to GoDaddy from Wix

@MartinT,

It's easier than you are imagining! 😉   You have two different services and providers involved. 

Wix = Website/Hosting  GoDaddy = Domain Registrar

Wix is DIY website design and hosting  platform. 

"Your Wix site and all of its content is hosted exclusively on Wix's servers, and cannot be transferred elsewhere."

If you like your site over there and want to keep it, you'll have to pay them for that service.

What you want to do is change your DNS records on GoDaddy to point to the new site on Wix per their instructions.   They should provide you with the nameservers to add to your GoDaddy domain records. You would continue to pay GoDaddy an annual fee to maintain the ownership of your domain.

HTH! 😉

Judith
"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." ~Thomas Edison

When you go to the Wix site, it has a strong recommendation against "pointing" - legitimate or sales strategy?

@Muse wrote:

@MartinT,

It's easier than you are imagining! 😉   You have two different services and providers involved. 

Wix = Website/Hosting  GoDaddy = Domain Registrar

Wix is DIY website design and hosting  platform. 

"Your Wix site and all of its content is hosted exclusively on Wix's servers, and cannot be transferred elsewhere."

If you like your site over there and want to keep it, you'll have to pay them for that service.

What you want to do is change your DNS records on GoDaddy to point to the new site on Wix per their instructions.   They should provide you with the nameservers to add to your GoDaddy domain records. You would continue to pay GoDaddy an annual fee to maintain the ownership of your domain.

HTH! 😉

The question was how to transfer domain FROM Wix TO Godaddy. So please understand the question before answering. And Godaddy is a hosting service too and a more popular hosting service than Wix.  

Hi, I am interested in actually transferring a domain from wix to Godaddy. What you are doing here is pointing a wix website to godaddy domain. 

So I have a domain and email addres (g-suite) purchased from wix. Now I want to transfer the domain to godaddy (60 days have passed) and build a completely new website and connect it to that domain.

Kind regards,

Adrian

Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Hi @AdrianPND. Welcome to GoDaddy Community! What you're looking for in that case is doing a domain name registration transfer. To do that, you can follow the steps in this article. Hope that helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.