cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't connect to FTP via Filezilla (connection timed out)?

Helping out a friend and hosting a little bitty website I built.  This was a project, and to be fair, I don't know a whole lot about the hosting aspect.  Cannot, even with more experienced help, get FileZilla to connect to the FTP server.  I've tried everything.  Keeps returning with connection timed out.  Possible I have somehow locked the IP in my desperate attempts to connect?  Don't really have the time to jump on a long call with support just yet.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

P.S. Also got a few "connection refused" responses as well.  First in Filezilla, second by trying to access the domain from a browser (you know, hoping tt magically fixed itself).

3 REPLIES 3

If you copy the filezilla logs into the forum that typically can help narrow down the issue. 

It could be with the setup of filezilla use the site manager under the file option in the menu bar to add your ftp details and make sure the protocol is set to plain ftp with no TLS/SSL on port 21

Mike L. | WebPro

This is what I'm getting, over and over:

Error:            Connection timed out after 20 seconds of inactivity
Error:            Could not connect to server
Error:            Connection timed out after 20 seconds of inactivity
Error:            Could not connect to server

I'm also having it time out when I try and navigate to bytesnbrews.com from my browser.

To log in through FTP (FileZilla).  You should know the primary credentials of your web hosting.  Follow the video tutorial below.

https://youtu.be/J2ai0HvMVd8

Thank You.