cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

How do I buy web hosting for an additional domain?

Hello. In January, I registered a domain with hover.com. Then I bought web hosting for that domain with GoDaddy.com. Now it is March and I just registered a second domain with hover.com. How do I set up the hosting on GoDaddy.com? If I go to domains in my account, all I can do is search. So I search for my domain. It is already owned. No kidding. How come there is no button that says "I own this domain, let's buy web hosting"? Or something. If I go to web hosting in my account, I do not see anything that says "add hosting for a new domain." Why? What do I need to do to set up web hosting for my second domain?

9 REPLIES 9
Helper VI Helper VI
Helper VI

Re: How do I buy web hosting for an additional domain?

@todd1,

@todd1 wrote:

How come there is no button that says "I own this domain, let's buy web hosting"? Or something. If I go to web hosting in my account, I do not see anything that says "add hosting for a new domain." 

It would be really great if this is possible... but it's not that simple.

Technically, GoDaddy can create a hosting for your domain that is registered in hover.com but it doesn't mean that your files will be served when you typed your domain in your browsers.

If you're confused, here's and analogy:

Let's imagine that GoDaddy is a restaurant.

Let's also say that you have a date with Emma Watson.

You can call GoDaddy and reserve a table for you and Emma Watson but it doesn't mean that Emma Watson is actually going to show up.

Even if you clicked a button that says "I really, really, really have a date with Emma Watson", GoDaddy will not be able to force her to show up... That would be kidnapping.

~Jan Mykhail Hasselbring Web Administrator @ fullstackwebsolution.com
Helper VI Helper VI
Helper VI

What you need to do is the following: 1) Ask Emma Watson on a date. (Hey gurl, wanna hang with me some time?) Meaning: purchase your domain at hover.com(which you've already done) 2)Reserve your dinner table at GoDaddy and tell them your name and your date's name. Meaning:Buy a hosting plan. Once you have a hosting, somewhere in the settings or cPanel, you'll be able to specify your domain. 3) Call Emma and tell her 'Hey gurl, I got us a table at GoDaddy's, I heard it's poppin' over there after 10 PM' Meaning: Go back to hover.com, login, manage your domain, add or change your DNS Record to point your domain to your new hosting.
New

Dear J, Thank you for writing. My first domain is registered with hover.com. I bought and paid for web hosting with GoDaddy.com. My first website is live and you can see it here: https://howhasyourmoodbeen.com/ Although 2 companies are involved, yes it is technology possible and working great. In fact, it loads faster than Google. And you can see that I bought an SSL certificate, so I am not trying to cheap out here. I am willing to spend the cash at GoDaddy.com to buy hosting for a second domain, but nobody can figure out how to do it. Is GoDaddy.com incapable of supporting multiple domains? Do I need to take my money to a second web hosting company? My site will work, and it will be faster than Google.

Helper VI Helper VI
Helper VI

@todd1,

I didn't say it's impossible. In fact, the steps I provided you are the steps you need to take in order to achieve that. I'm kind of in a similar situation... Domain hosted by Google, web server hosted by GoDaddy and apps + MySQL hosted by a separate VPS.  All I was trying to say is that there's no one-click button.(variation of that is possible but usually not practiced in the real world)

As far as hosting multiple domains... It depends on your type of host. You need to understand the hierarchy. A dedicated server can host multiple VPSs(if capable of virtualization)... A VPS can host multiple web servers(kind of)... Each web servers can host multiple VirtualHost. Each VirtualHost is basically the website composed of multiple files(the HTMLs).

You can point multiple domains to one VirtualHost but the content will be the same(technically).

If you want... I can do it for you... free... just let me know.

New

Thank you J. You are correct. I did register the second domain with hover.com. And I also purchased a web hosting account with GoDaddy for my first domain. However, there are no buttons or links, or any navigation that I can find anywhere on the site for me to either a) purchase an additional web hosting account for my second domain, or b) modify my existing web hosting account to add my second domain. So, since nobody here knows how to do this, maybe I need to contact GoDaddy chat support. Unfortunately, GoDaddy chat support is rarely available when I need them. So I may need to look for another web host anyway.

Helper VI Helper VI
Helper VI

@todd1,

No thanks needed.  

@todd1 wrote:

So, since nobody here knows how to do this, maybe I need to contact GoDaddy chat support. 

I literally gave you the step by step and you still think nobody here knows how to do it.... You almost have to put an extra effort to not be able to buy a hosting in GoDaddy especially after I offered you a free service.

I'll give you a hint.  

Click this link: GoDaddy

The picture below has 2 red boxes.  The one on the right is for username.    The one on the left is a button that has a drop down menu... I think the button on the left may be useful for you. 

Also, after you log in, these 2 links may be useful for you:

GoDaddy Hosting
GoDaddy Hosting with discount
New

Thank you for the hint J. I appreciate your efforts. As soon as I get the answer from chat support, I will post it here so that people can save some time.

New
Solution

The question is How do I buy web hosting for an additional domain? The answer is call in to phone support. However, as with anything GoDaddy, the process is counter-intuitive, so you must be careful NOT to choose the option for tech support, otherwise your wait time will be 93 minutes. You call in, hit the pound symbol #, because who remembers a PIN, amiright? Then hit pound # again, because GoDaddy wants your old credit card number that was stolen 8 weeks ago. (The pound # key lets you skip that.) Then choose option 1, then option 1 for personal. The wait time for a phone rep is minimal if you choose these options. My call was answered in only a few minutes. Then the phone rep will discuss the options that are right for you and since they are knowledgeable about the numerous plans, they will help you choose the best plan. The total time of the phone call was 11 minutes. Most of the time I was in the queue (maybe 3 minutes) and we had to retrieve the PIN from GoDaddy's greasy slow website. Other than that, GoDaddy does support this, and the phone reps are the way to go. Normally you might think phone reps are yuck, but I got a good one. 4 stars out of 5.

Highlighted

Can you share how you did this?