cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advocate VI Advocate VI
Advocate VI

Community Signature Best Practices

Andy suggested we start a list of suggestions re: our signatures. I think that's a great idea, so I'll start, and everyone else can reply to this so they all stay together

[Andy, should this post be sticky so new members can find it easily?]

I think that links to our personal sites (websites, Facebook pages, LinkedIn pages, etc.) should open in a new tab or window. That way, if a reader clicks on it, they don't lose their place in the community. I've already clicked on a few personal links that don't open a new tab. Then of course I got interested and started clicking around their sites... and then have to go back to find the community.

I know we have a number of professional developers in the group, but some people are NOT familiar with HTML. I did coach one person offline about how to add a link to her signature, since it does require knowing HTML.

<a href="http://websiteaddress.com" target="_blank">Name of website</a>

10 REPLIES 10
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Community Signature Best Practices

Floated! Thanks Lisa. 

Advocate III
Advocate III

This may be in the wrong topic, but I wanted to bring up my observations of the signature behavior.

1. The size is very small and is set programatically. Needless to say, it's kind of small right now...

2. Information that extends beyond the height of the signature container is hidden. This will confuse people.

Thanks for reading!

StarNet Solutions www.starnetsolutions.net
Super User I Super User I
Super User I

I'm almost of the opinion that HTML shouldn't even be allowed in the signature. I say almost because my chosen signature is blue but I don't see this community as advertising. I like people but I don't need to see a commercial every time I am reading a post. Honestly I don't see the benefit in posting company information in your signature or anyplace on the boards. So far there are no sections for selling or anything like that but I can guarantee that I'm not your customer.

I think the best practice is to keep branding and pandering out of signatures and keep it positive.

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

Advocate VI Advocate VI
Advocate VI

I respectfully disagree. While I doubt most participants are participating JUST to advertise, it may be a fringe benefit to some.

And if I see a business or technical response from someone, I may want to check them out before I assume that they know what they are talking about. For example, if someone says "I highly recommend doing this because I do it on my website" -- I want to see their website... either to see what they really did, or to see if I like the way it looks.

We both have already posted quite a bit of info, by way of being in this business, and mentioning that yes, we DO have experience -- and in theory, that's what makes us qualified to give advice. 

From what I have seen in other community/forum situations, it's pretty common and most people DO put a link in their signature. I suppose the right answer is to do what most similar venues do, as that would be the de facto standard.

Super User I

No need to disagree because I didn't say "Most are participating JUST to advertise." I do understand your point about the technical response aspect @webdiva but my thought on that is the same as selling grenades in an alley. Again just my $0.02 on what is the best practice.

As a side note you probably want people to Bing/Google/Ask Jeeves (or whatever) rather than just go to a link?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

Re: Regarding signatures

I tried to add mine and  the Profile information page does not come up. Any suggestions?

Patrick Williams

Super User I

I'd say to just be patient with it @pkwwebdesign the code still seems to be in a bit of a flux.

Helper IV Helper IV
Helper IV

I'd like my signature to show up in my response automagically so I can edit/alter it if I want to. Right now it's just added "after the fact".

I like putting relevant links to the signature. And I like quotes too like this one I use in my email. As far As I am concerned you should put into a community post the equivalent of what you'd put in an email. No less and no more. Emails should be personal, as should good community posts.

​Here's my signature I'd love to use -- it includes a link to my personal calendar in case someone wants to book a meeting with me. My door's open...

--

Alex Sirota, PMP
Director at NewPath Consulting
Website LinkedIn Twitter

"At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you." -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Alex Sirota, PMP - NewPath Consulting - Schedule some time with Alex
"At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

...i agree about having the signature with links to have said links open in a new browser window [or browser tab]...   personally, i have gotten in the habit of using the "right click, open in new tab" drill whenever i want to check out a link in an article i may be reading, mostly because there are still websites that have links open in the same window, so as you noted, it's a drag "...to go back to find..." whatever website you originally started on...!

...and, thanks for the tip about how to add a link in the signature...  one thing i have noted about the "signature" is that you have to press the enter key to put a nice space between the last line of the post and the signature...

"...life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans..." john lennon

Thanks for the answer, it has answered my questions how to this post be sticky so new members can find it easily. photo editor