cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Advocate VI Advocate VI
Advocate VI

What are the avatar specs?

I made it 64 x 36, won't take it. I tried JPG, PNG, file names with no spaces, etc.

What is the spec?

13 REPLIES 13
Advocate III
Advocate III

Re: What are the avatar specs?

I'm also having difficulty with a personal avatar. It won't upload and I keep getting an 'upload failed' message.

Thanks...

Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for flagging this. We're looking into it. I'll update Rachel's bug squashing post as well.

Advocate III Advocate III
Advocate III

ditto, tried a variety of photo uploads to get in the queue for approval so I could choose a headshot for an avatar, but all photo formats fail. Size of file was <100k
WordPress Coach & Consultant
Super User I Super User I
Super User I

Okay, nobody be alarmed but I think that I managed to upload a avatar? It says it is waiting for approval but don't judge me if it looks bad because I was just doing a experiment and it actually went through. The system instructed me to do a couple of crops so it might be okay?

The final specifications I used were 128 x 72 in .PNG but I'm not sure what the crop size was. We'll soon see!

webgeek-godaddy-community-small.png

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

Super User I

Hello avatar. Now I look more like my forum self!

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

Advocate VI Advocate VI
Advocate VI

I have tried using the same size @rd used, in png and jpg -- both give errors. 

The files are quite small (21 kb and 27 kb)

What do I need to change?

Super User I

I found two things that worked:

1. I uploaded a picture to a post using the Photos button, that picture later appeared in my FROM UPLOADED IMAGES
  2. I used the upload via URL

I could then select the picture, crop... Then it went to something like "you must wait until it has been approved by a moderator before you can use it as your avatar"

Advocate VI Advocate VI
Advocate VI
Solution

gd-community-avatar

Just testing here. I tried uploading a photo to this post, it would not let me upload from my computer.

However... there was an option to enter the URL of an image, so I uploaded it to my own site and was able to get it from there!

Here are the steps:

1. created image 128 x 72

2. uploaded the image to my WordPress site

3. In this post, clicked the Photos icon to add the photo by specifying the URL

4. Went to Settings/Avatars and selected From Uploaded Images

5. Selected my image after it was displayed

There did not seem to be any wait time for approval, as my avatar showed up right away!

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

Great news! We fixed the issue with uploading an avatar so you should be good to go now if you haven't already uploaded a personal avatar. Thanks for your patience with this!

Rachel

i am still having problems unfortunately.  i see the photos icon now but when i try to upload the avatar it just acts like it is trying to upload it but it just keeps going and going.

Hey @bohemefem,

Looks like you were already able to work this out as I'm showing your avatar image from here. Can you let us know what you did so others who run into trouble have a suggestion later? 

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support

Avatar upload is working for me.

Create your image at 120 x 72, save it as JPG (6 kb) and upload it directly from my profile \ upload avatar \

It worked at first try.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Awesome @CarlosO! It's nice to see that you added a picture of yourself. Take care and we look forward to seeing you around in the Community. 

Rachel