• Managed WordPress Hosting
  • Managed WordPress Hosting

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

500 Internal Server Error

I have about 5 websites hosted on a Managed Wordpress Hosting account.

The problem is with updating the plugins on the websites. Every time I try to update any of the below plugins to its latest version I get the below error - 

"Update Failed: <!DOCTYPE HTML>500 Internal Server ErrorInternal Server ErrorThe server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.Please contact the server administrator to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.More information about this error may be available in the server error log."

The plugins are - 

• Jetpack
    • Yoast SEO
    • Thrive Architect
    • Thrive Leads
    • Thirsty Affiliates

Every time this error comes up, I have to restore the entire website from the backup. I spent hours and days with the Tech Support agents but none of them seem to even know anything about Wordpress Hosting.. 

Anybody facing a similar issue or, knows how to resolve the problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
    Super User IV

@dkspeaks 

If you edit the wp-config.php file and set debug to true - it should display the error(s) which should point you to the root of the problem

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
    Super User IV

@dkspeaks 

If you edit the wp-config.php file and set debug to true - it should display the error(s) which should point you to the root of the problem

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

View solution in original post

Tried doing it. The debug file doesn't really show anything pertaining to this error. This is something I had tried earlier as well.

It is hence I reached out to Godaddy Tech Support agents because I am assuming this has got something to do with the server.

@dkspeaks 

The debug file / error log isn't going to show a 500 error - that is the error the web browser shows - You are going to see something like PHP Fatal error  - /wp-content/theme or plugins.....

That's precisely what I meant. It doesn't show any errors for the date or, time that the error has happened. I am hence, unable to even understand the reason for the error.

@dkspeaks 

If debug mode is on 

You should see the error on the screen and some error will be in the log file

This is what I see in the debug file. But have no clue what this means or, is causing the error and couldn't find any workable solution on the internet.

Any help would be great..

[30-Apr-2020 06:46:46 UTC] PHP Notice: Undefined index: item_name in /var/www/wp-content/plugins/ks-giveaways/includes/wordpress-common/EDD_SL_Plugin_Updater.php on line 145
    [30-Apr-2020 06:46:50 UTC] PHP Notice: Undefined index: item_name in /var/www/wp-content/plugins/ks-giveaways/includes/wordpress-common/EDD_SL_Plugin_Updater.php on line 145
    [30-Apr-2020 06:46:52 UTC] PHP Notice: Undefined index: hook_suffix in /var/www/wp-admin/includes/class-wp-screen.php on line 223
    [30-Apr-2020 06:46:54 UTC] PHP Notice: Undefined index: item_name in /var/www/wp-content/plugins/ks-giveaways/includes/wordpress-common/EDD_SL_Plugin_Updater.php on line 145
    [30-Apr-2020 06:46:57 UTC] PHP Notice: Undefined index: item_name in /var/www/wp-content/plugins/ks-giveaways/includes/wordpress-common/EDD_SL_Plugin_Updater.php on line 145
    [30-Apr-2020 06:51:07 UTC] PHP Warning: fopen(/var/www/wp-content/plugins/thrive-leads/thrive-leads.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/wp-includes/functions.php on line 5974
    [30-Apr-2020 06:51:07 UTC] PHP Warning: fread() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /var/www/wp-includes/functions.php on line 5977
    [30-Apr-2020 06:51:07 UTC] PHP Warning: fclose() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /var/www/wp-includes/functions.php on line 5980
    [30-Apr-2020 06:51:08 UTC] PHP Deprecated: has_cap was called with an argument that is <strong>deprecated</strong> since version 2.0.0! Usage of user levels is deprecated. Use capabilities instead. in /var/www/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4997
    [30-Apr-2020 06:51:08 UTC] PHP Notice: add_submenu_page was called <strong>incorrectly</strong>. The seventh parameter passed to <code>add_submenu_page()</code> should be an integer representing menu position. Please see <a href="https://wordpress.org/support/article/debugging-in-wordpress/">Debugging in WordPress</a> for more information. (This message was added in version 5.3.0.) in /var/www/wp-includes/functions.php on line 5167
    [30-Apr-2020 06:51:08 UTC] PHP Deprecated: has_cap was called with an argument that is <strong>deprecated</strong> since version 2.0.0! Usage of user levels is deprecated. Use capabilities instead. in /var/www/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4997

@dkspeaks 

This is GREAT and does tell use a lot of what is going on.

1) KS Giveaways - This plugin looks to have a couple of issues with an updater - but these are notices - More so this is an FYI - it looks like the most recent version is 1.8.4 but that it is a few years old so just be aware you may have issues moving forward.

[30-Apr-2020 06:51:07 UTC] PHP Warning: fopen(/var/www/wp-content/plugins/thrive-leads/thrive-leads.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/wp-includes/functions.php on line 5974

This is the main thing causing  your issue - that there is something trying to open what looks like the Thrive Leads plugin but it isn't being found. 

1) I would check if you have this plugin enabled, if so I would disable it

2) One thing that is odd is that it is referencing a file in the wp-includes which should be locked down as a core file.

I would check first for the Thrives Leads plugin - if that is enabled then disabled it - you may need to check via the file manage and delete the folder for thrives leads

Start with that and we can go from there 

Hey,

Thanks for the reply.

In fact this is not a case with only this particular plugin. This time it was this plugin. Some other times it is Jetpack and then sometime it will be Yoast. It is primarily with these 4 plugins that I have this issue when updating them.

@dkspeaks 

Are you updating the plugins from within WordPress or some other method?

I am doing it from within the wordpress dashboard.

@dkspeaks 

Strange - well the good news is all you should need to do is delete that one plugin via the file managers (GoDaddy hosting dashboard -> Tools -> File Browser) 

Then you can re-install it and you don't have to restore the entire site

@PL281 That doesn't work. Every time i delete the files and upload it again and activate it, I get the same error. I need to keep doing it multiple times and it just clicks and the plugin is activated. This is an extremely painful thing to do.

The irony is that the same plugins are running on some of my other websites which are running on other hosts and there is no such problems there.

That basically means that the problem is with Godaddy servers.