• GoDaddy Community
  • Managed WordPress Hosting
  • Managed WordPress Hosting

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

This morning there appeared to be some maintenance note on my website, then the website is down

Hello,

I'm waiting on a call back from GoDaddy... but I thought I would share, in case there is a solution before they get back in 20 minutes or so.
    I am currently in Oman (it is 5/5/2020 and 11:40 am here, which is 5/5/2020 2 am CST and 12:40 am on GoDaddy server time).

This morning (about an hour ago) I tried to access my website cyleomania.com, a message came up that there was some maintenance going on. 5 minutes later, I tried to access my website and found it down... says critical error with your WordPress website, bla, bla, bla.
    What happened??

I logged on GoDaddy and went to Installatron, found that earlier today there was some backup (sort of re-loaded) of 2018... 2 times. With my next backup to happen in 18 to 20 hours. 
    So I tried to restore to just about 3 days back... not working!

I have been on GoDaddy since 2001 I think, and 100% of my websites are WordPress, I checked all other websites that I host, all are good, but the one that is down! 

All plugins and themes were up to date and the website was perfect yesterday! Almost utopian! LOL
    I need help! I guess it's obvious.

Nothing impossible. No age limit. No gender limit. Just keep trying.
    2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
    Advocate VII

Hi @albusaidys ,

I did try to access your site and got an error saying DNS could not be found.  Given your description of what's happening, my inclination is that a WordPress update crashed or your server has crashed.  Its a bit worrying that backups from 2018 are even in the picture anywhere.

Right now, it looks like most of the help required is going to be from GoDaddy.  Do you have your backups stored off server?  If not, see if you can get one downloaded, in a dropbox, or somewhere other than your server.  Reason?  In case you have to move to a different server to solve the problem.  At least with your own copy of the backup you will have a pretty decent shot of restoration if you do need to migrate.

Hope this helps!

James

Not Just Pretty Sites, Pretty Doggone Smart Sites

View solution in original post

Hello James,

You are right, it had to be done from GoDaddy side.

I have copies of my website from the latest work that I did. I backed up in GoogleDrive.

I restored that and still the same issue.

Apparently, the problem they say was caused by a plugin that was causing the website to hog on memory. They forced php code to increase memory and the website started working. 

The only plugin I installed recently was Aramex shipping... so it is out now.

Granted my website is still hogging memory, (I have to find which other plugin is causing the problem) but it is now functional 🙂

So I'm thinking of making some changes and upgrades soon.

Thank you for your response.

3 REPLIES 3
    Advocate VII

Hi @albusaidys ,

I did try to access your site and got an error saying DNS could not be found.  Given your description of what's happening, my inclination is that a WordPress update crashed or your server has crashed.  Its a bit worrying that backups from 2018 are even in the picture anywhere.

Right now, it looks like most of the help required is going to be from GoDaddy.  Do you have your backups stored off server?  If not, see if you can get one downloaded, in a dropbox, or somewhere other than your server.  Reason?  In case you have to move to a different server to solve the problem.  At least with your own copy of the backup you will have a pretty decent shot of restoration if you do need to migrate.

Hope this helps!

James

Hello James,

You are right, it had to be done from GoDaddy side.

I have copies of my website from the latest work that I did. I backed up in GoogleDrive.

I restored that and still the same issue.

Apparently, the problem they say was caused by a plugin that was causing the website to hog on memory. They forced php code to increase memory and the website started working. 

The only plugin I installed recently was Aramex shipping... so it is out now.

Granted my website is still hogging memory, (I have to find which other plugin is causing the problem) but it is now functional 🙂

So I'm thinking of making some changes and upgrades soon.

Thank you for your response.

Hi @albusaidys ,

Also, check theme updates.  I've seen some HUGE changes just on a single theme update depending on the theme options.  A good example is Avada.  A base installation is pretty efficient.  When you add most of the ecommerce type functions, if you do not tune the theme, performance is AWFUL.  

Just thought I'd add that!

James