• GoDaddy Community
  • Managed WordPress Hosting
  • Managed WordPress Hosting

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 

Website migration! Do it at your own risk!

This post is to highlight the callous attitude of Indian Tech Support team towards resolving an issue with Managed WordPress Hosting. So be aware (esp. if you are calling Indian support team). 

I have a working Linux hosting which hosts my 'pure' WordPress website (anglopub.com). I mentioned pure just to stress upon the fact that i have not added any non-WordPress pages. I recently purchased another WordPress hosting and wanted to migrate the website to this new hosting plan. Here are the woes I faced which I would like to share with everyone

1. Auto migration services are unreliable! WordPress migration service boasts of migrating a website. My website met the criteria mentioned by the service, yet after a day long wait, finally it threw an error that Migration failed, citing no reason why it failed! 

2. If you can't convince customers, confuse them.. well, that was the attitude I got to see about the customer service agents when I approached them to resolve the issue. From the beginning they were hell bent on convincing me the problem was with my source code/plugin etc and they won't be able to help me out. I kept reminding them that the website is running just fine in my other hosting plan and the problem was related to some version settings etc. which was beyond my control. However, they preferred to ignore what I was trying to tell them and instead kept telling me the technicians (back-end team as per them) are not able to provide any support and I have to develop the site from the scratch! Can you believe that? I have a fully working site in another GoDaddy hosting plan. All it needs for them is to provide me a compatible web folder for me to upload things and a database to be able to run a WordPress site!

It's the third day and my site is still down. I am forced to go back to my previous plan which is costing me almost 5 times more! 

I hope this dilemma is heard out by a concerned senior GoDaddy technical person who is willing to hear me out and resolve this issue asap. I have recommended GoDaddy to more than 40 customers of mine but now I regret it.

Thanks.

(an irate customer)

2 REPLIES 2
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

Re: Website migration! Do it at your own risk!

Hi @Roshan2340. Thanks for sharing your concern. I'm sorry you've had such a difficult time. Quality of support is something that we take great pride in and this doesn't sound like the type of experience we want customers to have. I will have your feedback forwarded on to improve how things are done. We're always looking for ways to get better and we appreciate you sharing your feedback with us.

It's hard to say why your automatic migration wasn't working. However, you should definitely have access to the Managed WordPress account's files if you want to manually move the site over. It can be tricky, but it can be done. There is an article detailing the process here.

It looks like your site is up now and it appears to be on our WordPress platform. Hopefully, you were able to get this resolved somehow. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Re: Website migration! Do it at your own risk!

Hi @JesseW 

There's only part truth in your statement 'you should have access to the Managed WordPress account's files'. How I wish as an owner of the site I had complete access to the files. GoDaddy made sure I can only mess around with wp-content folder. The other two folders (wp-admin & wp-includes) were read-only folders. I was telling the support time from the very beginning they only need to give me write access to these two folders so that I can simply replace them with my version of WordPress that was working fine.

I was forced to upgrade my working site to match the version of new WordPress hosting and you must be well aware of the risks involved. Being aware of these risks myself, I pleaded with the support team to give me complete access to the folder so that I can simply upload all WordPress folders instead of just wp-content.  That would have made it so easier for me. But they were quick enough to tell me the back-end team are not supposed to do that. My theme provider has stopped the support for theme long back and it doesn't give any guarantee the theme is compatible with later WordPress versions. That goes for most of the other plugins too. I am still struggling to fix one of the most important page-builder plugins that has stopped working in the back-end after I upgraded my WordPress folder yesterday. I can't even upgrade this plugin as my theme doesn't support the latest version of it.

It should be my decision, as an owner, to choose which version of WordPress I want to use, or at least there should be an option for me to select which version of WordPress I want to use. If that's not possible, GoDaddy's support team should be cooperative enough to fix such issues for helpless customers like me instead of raising their hands and telling me I should go under the hood and fix my code.

Surprisingly, they were not even knowledgeable enough to suggest I should upgrade my WordPress version.. I had to figure that out myself! Smiley Happy

I only hope my concerns get heard so GoDaddy can take proper action to ensure customers like me get all kind of support that they deserve.

Thank you.