cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

A scam hosted by Godaddy

Spoiler

Last week I received a genuine, official email from "donotreply@godaddy.com. The subject was: "Someone Asked About Your Domain". It was a forwarded email from Mr. E. Hayashida, offering a "five figure usd" for my domain. After many attempts to get a definitive explanation from the Godaddy support team, I finally realized that the guy sent me this email through Godaddy's WHOIS service.

This was very confusing because this guy used Godaddy service to gain credible access to my mailbox to tempt me with his scam.To avoid such a frastrating experience from it's customers, all Godaddy has to do is to check carefully WHOARE those offerors before the pass on the alleged offer

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @arnon,

Welcome to the Community.

First, the return address on the main portion of the email, is not as important as the "from" address in the hidden header of your email system. Please check your instructions for how to see the complete header in your email plan. The sending address should have only "@godaddy.com, not anything like "@godaddy.domainoffers.com", or any configuration that uses the domain as a subdomain. Those are not sent by GoDaddy. 

Then, if you believe that The email was sent to you, due to your registration data on the domain, you will want to look to add privacy to the domain. If you already have privacy, the "domainsbyproxy" addresses have a forwarding option that you can manage. 

Lastly, you can include that email (complete with coded headers) to our Abuse department. You can either email them at abuse@godaddy.com, or submit a report on this site

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Hi @arnon,

Welcome to the Community.

First, the return address on the main portion of the email, is not as important as the "from" address in the hidden header of your email system. Please check your instructions for how to see the complete header in your email plan. The sending address should have only "@godaddy.com, not anything like "@godaddy.domainoffers.com", or any configuration that uses the domain as a subdomain. Those are not sent by GoDaddy. 

Then, if you believe that The email was sent to you, due to your registration data on the domain, you will want to look to add privacy to the domain. If you already have privacy, the "domainsbyproxy" addresses have a forwarding option that you can manage. 

Lastly, you can include that email (complete with coded headers) to our Abuse department. You can either email them at abuse@godaddy.com, or submit a report on this site

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

View solution in original post