cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted
New

ATTENTION WEBSITE BUILDERS - GoDaddy no longer supports web forward -> "MASKING" 12-22-2018

ATTENTION WEBSITE BUILDERS - GoDaddy no longer supports web forward -> "MASKING"  12-22-2018. Seems they have not notified their customers of this and guess how many websites will not be working now? Depending on your browser, you will either get a blank white screen(Chrome) or an error will display(Fire Fox). If the domain is on GoDaddy = MASKING no-worky. If the domain is parked somewhere else such as Network Solutions, Then Forwarded to a GoDaddy website site page, then MASKING still works on a GoDaddy website. I use the GoDaddy website builder tools.

Free Movies TV Music News Weather Sports and more at www.act1.tv A GoDaddy Hosted Website.
4 REPLIES 4
Super User III Super User III
Super User III

Re: ATTENTION WEBSITE BUILDERS - GoDaddy no longer supports web forward -> "MASKING" 1

Masking is not standards compliant as the code that makes it work was actually depreciated by W3C (web standards organization) many years ago.  It can break the functionality of a website in many ways, some websites actively block it's use.  Ideally you'll want to properly associate a domain with it's website using DNS/nameservers.

New
Solution

Re: ATTENTION WEBSITE BUILDERS - GoDaddy no longer supports web forward -> "MASKING" 1

Yeh I hear ya Nate. Biggest point here is that now, many users, like myself, will find out the hard way, when one day they will discover that their BUSINESS websites/pages are not loading. GODADDY SHOULD HAVE NOTIFIED THEIR USERS OF THIS CHANGE. PERIOD. So now, I will take some of my domains back from godaddy and let network solutions have them back and I will use web forwarding and masking and those things will work again. GoDaddy will lose business. I been a website developer also for many years. www.act1.tv   www.fillstaffhr.com and many more with many customers...  Computer guy since 1974. I also run a top producing HR Firm and sell HR Software that I developed. Not bragging, just to let you know I am no Novice.. How GoDaddy handled this was wrong. I've  been moving domains to Godaddy for a while including recently. If I had known this 2 months ago, I would not have moved some of my business over to GoDaddy. TODAY - The GoDaddy support person was not even aware of this recent action until I called her about the issue.

Free Movies TV Music News Weather Sports and more at www.act1.tv A GoDaddy Hosted Website.
Super User III Super User III
Super User III

Like I said masking is not the proper way to associate a domain with it's website.  GoDaddy does not control the web standards, even if you switch to another registrar masking is not compliant with modern standards.  Are you able to add the domain to your hosting account and get the appropriate IP address?  If so you can follow the steps of this article to update the A record accordingly.

https://www.godaddy.com/help/change-an-a-record-19239

A record-

Host: @

Points to: (hosting IP address)

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @ACT1TV. Forwarding with masking is still working. However, more and more websites/website providers are blocking the ability to load those sites via a frame, which is how our masking works. You can verify this by looking at the source for the page that is loading. It will usually look like this:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
   "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
<html>

<head>
  <title>Masking Test</title>  
  <meta name="description" content="">
  <meta name="keywords" content="">
</head>
<frameset rows="100%,*" border="0">
  <frame src="[target site url will be here]" frameborder="0" />
</frameset>

</html>

FireFox and Chrome do not give information on this, but if you load the site in Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge, you will see the following warning:

masking blocked.png

I'm not sure why you'd have the ability to forward/mask a domain that is not registered with us though. That seems like it shouldn't be possible. Do you have some specific examples of sites you're trying to forward to? 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.