cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Adding local domain

Hi All

OK so I have the Wordpress basic hosting which will be upgraded once the website is live, this includes a domain bought from GoDaddy included in the package, webworks.company is the domain.

I live in Malta and purchased the domains webworks.com.mt and webworks.mt, these domains are managed by the maltese government. I now want these domains to point to webworks.company since I want the primary domain to be the .com.mt extension.

I have added both under the hosting section but only the .mt shows up in the domains section rsulting in the .com.mt not pointing to the site.

A 30 minute chat with support was of no use for something which should be easy to do, can anyone advise how I can achieve my goal please?

7 REPLIES 7
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Adding local domain

Hi @andyhunt. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community! It looks like the domain webworks.com.mt doesn't currently have DNS settings. This usually means that it's either not pointed to the correct nameservers or there isn't a zone file for the domain setup on the nameservers you're using. I'd recommend removing the domain and adding it again. That should hopefully prompt our system to create a zone file and allow you to look up the correct nameservers for the domain. If that doesn't happen, then our advanced support team would need to look into the situation. You would need to connect with our customer care team again to have the situation reviewed by our advanced support team. 

Another thing you could try is using the DNS hosting of your registrar (if that is provided) and then update the domain's A record to point to the IP address of your hosting plan. Please keep in mind that changes to DNS sometimes take time to update across the internet. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Hi @JesseW and thanks for your reply. The domain registrar in Malta, NIC.ORG.MT gave me the following info:

Kindly note that the A records (IP addresses) must be configured with your DNS hosting provider.

We we query webworks.com.mt using a publicly available tool (https://intodns.com) the errors below are being returned.

ErrorMismatched NS recordsWARNING: One or more of your nameservers did not return any of your NS records.
ErrorDNS servers respondedERROR: One or more of your nameservers did not respond:
The ones that did not respond are:
173.201.76.29 97.74.108.29

SOAErrorSOA recordNo valid SOA record came back!
MXErrorMX RecordsOh well, I did not detect any MX records so you probably don't have any and if you know you should have then they may be missing at your nameservers!
WWWErrorWWW A RecordERROR: I could not get any A records for www.webworks.com.mt!

(I only do a cache request, if you recently added a WWW A record, it might not show up here.)

At this stage we would recommend that you liaise with your DNS hosting provider regarding the error messages above, as the DNS records are not configured correctly and therefore the DNS hosting is not resolving for your domain name.  Do note that the records above must be configured through your DNS hosting provider control panel.

Does this help to pinpoint the issue as I have now had 3 chat support sessions and still no solution, any help is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Andy.

For further info here are some screenshots from my account. The .mt is ok but the .com.mt gives the problem of DNS not resolving. As the .com.mt domain doesn't show in my domains list would this be the issue? I used the same NS records as the .mt 

Capture.JPGCapture1.JPG

Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

@andyhunt - Based on the response from your registrar, it seems like they do not offer DNS hosting. The issue at hand definitely looks like something isn't right on our end. However, I wouldn't be able to get this addressed for you here. The best thing to do would be to connect with support once more. I can get a note on your account so that the issue is looked at more closely when you do so. 

As a workaround to get things working in the meantime, you can try creating a DNS hosting entry for the domain. If that works, it may not remain active for more than 30 days, so you'd still want to get the issue to our advanced hosting support so it can be fixed the right way. 

Alternatively, you could try using a 3rd party DNS provider to host the DNS, like Cloudflare. If you do use Cloudflare, I'd stay away from using their caching service as it can interfere with the caching already available on a Managed WordPress plan. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

@JesseW thanks for your reply, regarding the DNS hosting, if you can make the note that would be great please. How do I then get chat support to see your note? Or maybe a higher level of support? The strange thing to me is I have had a separate .com.mt domain for years with GoDaddy.

I will try the 30 day workaround but its not ideal as would prefer a more permanent solution.

Re the cloudflare solution, I don't really want to do this, I have been with GD for years and have never had a problem with support before, they have always resolved issues quickly and effectively. I prefer to have all things in one place ideally.

Thanks so much for your assistance!

Community Manager
Community Manager

@andyhunt - Definitely understand wanting to have everything in one place. If you just let the support agent know about this conversation and that there are notes in the account, that should be enough for them to take a closer look. If not, feel free to PM me. 

@JesseW - hi again and thanks for your help, unfortunately the chat staff are not as helpful as I have just spent a further 3 hours to get nowhere. She had no way of checking your notes, no way of contacting advanced support, no way to escalate it and cut the chat off.

Sorry for the length but the transcript is attached for you to check, do you have any other suggestions please? My next step unfortunately will be to migrate mine and also my 97 work accounts as I cannot have this when a client is involved. I'm not blaming you and am very grateful for the help you have given.