cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

DNS settings

Hi everyone, I recently moved all my domain registrations and DNS from another provider, and seem to be having an issue with the new settings.

The hosting is done with Digital Ocean, which was fine with my previous provider and is still up and running as expected when accessed direct by the IP address.

I've added this IP as the default A record in GoDaddy, but several hours later it still hasn't repointed from the default "under construction" page. The GoDaddy name servers are showing correctly in MXToolbox, but not the new IP.

Any help is appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: DNS settings

Hi @timlo. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community! It's definitely strange that your domain's A record is not updating when other records have done so already. If you're still having trouble, then there might be something wrong with the zone file for the domain. In that case, you'll probably need to get in touch with our support team. Sorry Man Sad

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Dear TimLo,

You most likely have more than one reference in your DNS configuration for that "name."

The "default" which GoDaddy creates (when you add DNS hosting) includes a "Parked" record, which will not go away by itself - even when you import your DNS information.  It should be at the top of your list of entries.  Delete that entry, verify that your other entry does exist, and points to the correct IP address, and you should have this resolved. 

By the way, it would have helped a lot if you shared a photo/screen shot of your configuration and the IP address in question.  There are some simple commands, such as "dig" and "nslookup" which could help you discover where the problem lies.  You may want to read up on them.

One problem I've seen is that you have more than one provider delivering DNS via their nameservers, and the data is not synchronized.  So, you get the right answer, but only some of the time.  Good luck getting to support today - they're swamped right now.

New
Solution

Thanks everyone, seems like it was a time issue with GoDaddy activating the DNS service on their side. The console was active and available but DNS hadn't been fully enabled. My settings were correct so when it eventually went live it worked fine.