cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Domain at Godaddy, Hosted at Freehostia, MX records not working now

The domain for my website (regalneedle.com) was registered through GoDaddy and hosted at Weebly for a long time. I never had any email issues using that configuration, but I recently moved my hosting to Freehostia because I liked the price (free) and the ability to use Wordpress. Unfortunately, once I moved my hosting over there, my email was broken. For whatever reason, I can't access the MX records at Freehostia to set them to the GoDaddy email servers and I'm having a heckuva time keeping my website up if I keep the GoDaddy nameservers and try to add the Freehostia ones.

I'm a bit frustrated... I tried managing the DNS zones as was suggested in another person's issue, but unless I change the entire domain to Freehostia, my website won't work. Help?

4 REPLIES 4
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Domain at Godaddy, Hosted at Freehostia, MX records not working now

Hi @EmpressG. It looks like you're having some significant DNS issues. There are essentially two ways you can resolve this. 

The first option is to use GoDaddy nameservers. Right now it looks like you're using the nameservers for Freehostia. (Your website is also not loading currently.) If you change the nameservers for your domain to point back to default, your email should start working. Then, you'll want to edit your existing "@" A record so that it points to the IP address for your website with Freehostia. 

The second option would be to use Freehostia's nameservers, but then add MX records that point back to GoDaddy's email servers. (You'll also need to update your A Record there as your website isn't currently opening. Looking at your domain's DNS currently, it does not appear to have an A Record.) It looks like you're probably using Workspace Email. In that case, this article explains how you can find the right MX records to use. You would need to be able to set those within Freehostia DNS management. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Thanks for the assist. It gets even weirder... I can send email, but I can't receive it and receive it now, but my website is still completely down. Woman Embarassed

According to Freehostia (which has abysmal help btdubs), I must use their nameservers to have my website work properly. I'm about to trash the whole thing and start over from scratch because I'm so frustrated.

This is what my records look like at the moment:dns info.PNG

I followed the Workspace Email guide for finding MX records and updating them and that's what I got so far... Hopefully I can get this back up and running soon. Based on what you see here, what suggestions do you have?

Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

@EmpressG - I'm able to load your website right now, so I'm guessing you got this figured out. One thing I do still see a problem with (though not in your screenshot) is your WWW Cname. When I try to www.regalneedle.com, I get redirected to our email login. You still have email.secureserver.net set up as the target for your WWW Cname. I'd suggest changing that to point to your domain or "@". 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Thanks so much!