cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Domains and changing email records

Right subject ? I have had numerous domains from GoDaddy for many years. One was steered to a website I have not on GoDaddy. (1and1.com) I got frustrated and changed website hosts and just changed namesevers. The email for this GoDaddy domain was steered to Google Email. (way back they had a free business email package they still honor free)(all kinds of extra perks) Now that I just changed nameservers for the website it seemed to void what I had there (Google) for email. I can't steer my GoDaddy domain to a website off GoDaddy and Email to Email off GoDaddy ? (different location)  (I would loose allot with the loss of this Google email using the GoDaddy domain. I did that for at least 10 years and not now? In the email section (mx records) it automatic changed things to my new website host.A disaster for me.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Super User II

The nameservers determine which DNS zone file to use.  You have 2 options.

You can revert back to the default nameservers if you want to manage the DNS here.  Then you would need to point an A record to your website.

Type Host/name Points to/value
A record @ (IP address for your website)

If you leave the nameservers with the host the DNS here is not active, you would need to manage the DNS with your host.  So email settings and anything else you may need should all be in the one active zone file.

View solution in original post

Hi @shepaug,

Welcome to the Community!

Any time you change the nameservers for a domain (the location of the domain's zone files), your previous settings can be removed. If you are still using email with Google, you can update the MX (email) records on the domain at any time. The settings for Google are in the link here

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

2 REPLIES 2
Super User II

The nameservers determine which DNS zone file to use.  You have 2 options.

You can revert back to the default nameservers if you want to manage the DNS here.  Then you would need to point an A record to your website.

Type Host/name Points to/value
A record @ (IP address for your website)

If you leave the nameservers with the host the DNS here is not active, you would need to manage the DNS with your host.  So email settings and anything else you may need should all be in the one active zone file.

Hi @shepaug,

Welcome to the Community!

Any time you change the nameservers for a domain (the location of the domain's zone files), your previous settings can be removed. If you are still using email with Google, you can update the MX (email) records on the domain at any time. The settings for Google are in the link here

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support