ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS

Hi,

i'm having this error

ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS

In this domain 

http://www.sandiegointernshipsdirectory.com/

i need to use it with jobthread.com

here's the instruction

• Please set the domain name "jobs.mycompany.com" as a CNAME record that points to "customdomainname.jobthread.com"
    *** Literally "customdomainname.jobthread.com" NOT "***.jobthread.com" ***

so i did that

Caspture.PNG

is there anything i need to remove/edit ?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Super User IV

@mmohamed2 

So 

1) the cname would only be jobs for the name

2) the 2nd part looks correct - I did a google search and found http://joblistings.socialmediajobs.com/ which seems to be using this same service

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Super User IV

@mmohamed2 

So 

1) the cname would only be jobs for the name

2) the 2nd part looks correct - I did a google search and found http://joblistings.socialmediajobs.com/ which seems to be using this same service

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

View solution in original post

Thank you for the quick response, 

i change it to jobs but still getting the same error

@mmohamed2 

do you have forwarding enabled on this domain as well.... also when I did a lookup for jobs.sandiegointernshipsdirectory.com it's not showing the cname is configured for that - I would make sure you don't have any extra spaces characters in the name field.

@PL281 wrote:

@mmohamed2 

do you have forwarding enabled on this domain as well

Captqsure.PNG

@PL281 wrote:

@mmohamed2 

also when I did a lookup for jobs.sandiegointernshipsdirectory.com it's not showing the cname is configured for that - I would make sure you don't have any extra spaces characters in the name field.

sorry fixed it now, please check again

also, here's the full instructions from jobthread.com

Custom Domain Names
Using JobThread's custom domain name feature you can make your JobThread site available at any domain name you want. Common examples include "jobs.mycompany.com" or "www.mycompany.com".
The domain name you wish to use must already be registered and working. If you do not yet have a domain name and wish to register one you may do so at any domain registrar, such as GoDaddy.com or . Please note that due to the varied methods of registering and configuring domain names, JobThread cannot provide support for the registration and configuration of new domain names.
Once your domain name is registered and working, complete these two steps:

Step 1
Point the domain name to JobThread's servers
Typically this is a step performed by someone technical inside your organization, or by the company that hosts your existing website. We've provided an example email below that you can send to your IT department, network administrator, system administrator, webmaster, your ISP or hosting company, or whomever is responsible for maintaining your website and domain name. Make sure you change "jobs.mycompany.com" in the text below to the domain name you wish to use. Do not change "customdomainname.jobthread.com", however.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to add or update a DNS record for my domain name.

Please set the domain name "jobs.mycompany.com" as a CNAME record that points to "customdomainname.jobthread.com"
*** Literally "customdomainname.jobthread.com" NOT "asdidirectory.jobthread.com" ***

Note: In the text above, "customdomainname.jobthread.com" should not be changed. The DNS record should point to "customdomainname.jobthread.com" (literally "customdomainname.jobthread.com", NOT "asdidirectory.jobthread.com").

Note that "Redirection" and "Forwarding" are not the same as a CNAME DNS record. A CNAME DNS record must be used, Redirection or Forwarding will not work.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You should not configure a root domain name such as mycompany.com (no 'www' or other subdomain) as a CNAME record. Configuring a root domain name as a CNAME record will cause email delivery for that domain name to fail. If you would like visitors to a root domain name such as mycompany.com to be forwarded to the custom domain name, such as www.mycompany.com, you should configure www.mycompany.com as a CNAME record, and then configure mycompany.com to redirect/forward to www.mycompany.com. Redirection/forwarding is usually provided by your hosting provider, and it is not possible to configure that through JobThread.
Step 2
Let us know what domain name you wish to use
After Step 1 has been completed contact us. Include the following information:
Type: Site
User ID: xxx(This is your User ID. You do not need to change it.)
Domain Name: <The domain name you wish to use>
After receiving your request and verifying that the domain name is properly configured (from Step 1), we will configure your site to appear at the domain name and send you a confirmation email.

@mmohamed2 

Ok so jobs.sandiegointernshipsdirectory.com  is pointing correctly now 

You just need to complete step 2 from their instructions to get them to add jobs.sandiegointernshipsdirectory.com  into their system

and after completing step 2, the website URL will be sandiegointernshipsdirectory.com and not jobs.sandiegointernshipsdirectory.com right ?

@mmohamed2 

No if you want that you need to set up the forwarding to redirect to jobs.

I can't find how to redirect jobs to www, can you show me how ?

@mmohamed2 

Ok - so you have WWW as a cname pointing to @ so that will go where ever without WWW is going to...

So down in the lower right where the forwarding is you are going to add (not masked) jobs.(Yourfulldomain)

Then if you enter the domain with or without the www OR you enter jobs. it will get to the right place

Thank you so much

Appreciate your help