Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted
New

Getting rid of the clientRenewProhibited domain status

My domain is showing status "clientRenewProhibited" in its WHOIS entry:

Domain Status: clientRenewProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientRenewProhibited

There are other statuses too, like clientDeleteProhibited, clientTransferProhibited and clientUpdateProhibited, which I understand are sensible statuses for protecting my domain.

However, following the link given on the status line, I find an ICANN document describing the clientRenewProhibited status like this:

This status code tells your domain's registry to reject requests to renew your domain. It is an uncommon status that is usually enacted during legal disputes or when your domain is subject to deletion.

I am pretty sure there are no legal disputes going on, and my domain shouldn't be subject to deletion by any means.

Also, if someone wants to renew my domain for me, I definitely do not want to prohibit that.

How can I get rid of this status line while keeping the others?

13 REPLIES 13
Super User III Super User III
Super User III

Re: Getting rid of the clientRenewProhibited domain status

The wording my seem scary but these Domain Status listings are to help prevent fraudulently moving the domains.  They are automatically applied and adjusted accordingly when making changes within your account.

New

Thank you for your answer! I completely understand that the clientDeleteProhibited, clientTransferProhibited and clientUpdateProhibited status lines are applied for exactly that purpose, and those I would like to keep.

My question is about the clientRenewProhibited status though. It has nothing to do with fraudulently moving domains, and I would very much like to get rid of it.

Super User III

Why?  Like I said these are automatically adjusted as needed; you can still cancel, update, transfer, or renew a domain you own from within your account.

New

ICANN requires that every domain registrant check their WHOIS records at least yearly, and correct any mistakes in the info. Having done so, I have found a status line that must be an error, so I'd like to fix the error.

Super User III

Okay, if that's all you don't need to worry about it.  The ICANN requirement is for the contact details to be accurate.

These 4 "client" status codes simply mean the domain is locked in your account.  Though the wording may seem scary, you can still make these changes from within your account and it'll automatically take care of the status codes.  If it'll help ease your worries you can do a whois lookup for GoDaddy.com and see it has the same 4 status codes.

New

Thanks again for your response!

It seems there's some kind of misunderstanding going on though; the thing I wanted to know was HOW can I get rid of that status line without disabling the domain lock, or if such a thing was indeed possible at all.

So while you have done a very good job at coming up with reasons and reassurances in favour of letting a broken thing stay broken, that's not really what I was after.

Thanks once more for all the effort you have put into this.

Super User III

I've been trying to explain that it's not actually broken.  These codes don't prevent you from taking these actions within your account.  There isn't a way to directly modify statuses and there's no need as the system automatically does it for you.

New

I completely do get the mitigating factor that GoDaddy doesn't intend to honour the status code, so it's very unlikely to ever cause me problems.

However, I'd argue that it would be much better to not have such a status at all, if its only effect is "no effect whatsoever".

(No, I'm not going to disable my domain lock, or heavens forbid, switch registrars over this, but misusing standards and then internally circumventing them because otherwise nothing would work probably isn't the best approach to, well, anything.)

In any case, thank you for confirming that there is no way to individually control the status lines, and thanks especially for your patience with my silly obsession with having things just so instead of just "good enough".

Super User III

I am sorry if I'm not doing a good enough job explaining.  It's not that GoDaddy is simply ignoring these codes, rather the codes are actually from GoDaddy to the registry telling them the domain is locked.  The 'client' codes are controlled by the registrar (GoDaddy), while 'server' codes are controlled by the registry (like Verisign for .com as example).  Though you can actually have GoDaddy request the domain to be locked at the registry level for added protection with Protected Registration.  All of this is taken care of for you automatically when you preform the actions within your account.  Just as when you update the domain (contact details, etc) in your account GoDaddy will take the necessary actions to complete the process, the same is true when you renew the domain within your account.

I do understand that the short summery on ICANN.org is not quite accurate to how these codes can be used, this usage is still within the actual specifications.

New

Oh, do rest assured, you are doing an excellent job at explaining this!

It's just that I really, really do not want to have that status on my domain.

Also, after perusing some of the relevant guides, documents and RFCs, and checking the practises of a dozen or so other registrars (and the WHOIS entries of some of the more well-known domain names), I'm all but convinced that this systematic use of the clientRenewProhibited status alongside the more commonly used protective statuses is a GoDaddy-specific practise, and that this status was not intended to be used this way, even though it might be technically possible to do so.

Is there a proper channel for suggesting a discussion about the possibility of abandoning this status line, maybe even on a general policy level? (There may be some obscure reason why it's a good idea to include it, but try as I might, I don't seem to be able to figure one out.)

Thank you once more for your excellent responses, and please accept my apologies for being so obstinate about this.

Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Hi @Bass. I'm not sure, but my guess is that this status is in place to prevent 3rd party renewals of the domain. That could be problematic if it were allowed to occur. However, I will dig into this a little more and see if I can find out if this is the actual function and whether or not it's something we'd consider removing.

One thing to keep in mind is that if removal of that status is possible, it would likely take some significant development work to change how our system manages domains. We definitely have developers capable of making that kind of change, but they are usually tasked with making updates/improvements based on what can be identified by product owners and managers as the best use of their time. Regardless of what I find out, I will pass on your feedback to the appropriate team. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
Super User III

@BassNo worries, I am still wondering why it matters to you.  Though it has come up a couple times, it'll be interesting to see what @JesseW can figure out.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @Bass. In reviewing this issue with our developers and product owner, they provided the same answer I guessed at earlier. This is something that we've been doing for the last 17 years. In our system, we remove the "clientRenewProhibited" flag just before we issue the renewal for the domain, then add it again after the domain has been renewed successfully. This prevents edge cases where another registrar or the registry itself may mistakenly renew a domain they do not have control over. If that were to happen and then the renewal was canceled, it could have negative effects on the registration. Those are both unlikely scenarios, but this would be a "better safe than sorry" approach that we're not likely to change in the near future. Sorry if it's caused you any concern or confusion. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.