cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

How to create CNAME from @ to another domain

I have a domain name bobsstuff.xyz, and I want to create a CNAME record to point it to click.mgage.com.

However, the DNS management tool won't let me use "@" as the host name for the CNAME information. 

Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 6.10.36 PM.png

There is no problem creating CNAME record for sub-domains, but that isn't what I'm trying to do.

I could use the domain forwarding with a HTTP status 301 or 302, but then the domain name bobsstuff.xyz won't be sent to the server.

It's not really practical to use an A record as the domain name I want to point to may move to a different ip address, which would break the entry for bobsstuff.com.

I'm able to do this without a problem in other domain manager systems; I just can't figure out how to do it in GoDaddy. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Re: How to create CNAME from @ to another domain

Hi @bobsstuff. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community! The @ host is reserved for A records, so you wouldn't be able to use it to create a CNAME in our DNS manager. The only service we have in place to add a redirect is our forwarding service. However, as you've discovered, this doesn't redirect at the destination server but rather our servers. With what you want to do, you'll either need to use a different DNS provider that allows an @ CNAME, or point the domain toward the IP of the hosting server with it's @ A record, and then configuring a redirect there. Hope that helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Re: How to create CNAME from @ to another domain

Thanks @JesseW

We've had the client add an A records for each IP addresses of the destination.