Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted
New

MX record not visible

hello,

i created an MX record for my domain kamalpr.co.in which i bought from godaddy.com, pointing to 117.247.3.233  But the MX record is not visible after several days of my adding it in the DNS manager at go daddy. This is the result of testing from dnsstuff.com

I also found that there is an A record pointing to 184... which i cannot delete. But fortunately,  i can add a correct A entry. The diagnostic from dnsstuff also points to some warnings which i wish i could handle.

thanks

-kamal

13 REPLIES 13
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: MX record not visible

Hi @kamalp. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community! It looks like the domain kamalpr.co.in is not currently registered. You may want to double check the spelling and make sure the correct domain was registered. Hope that helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
New

@JesseW wrote:

Hi @kamalp. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community! It looks like the domain kamalpr.co.in is not currently registered. You may want to double check the spelling and make sure the correct domain was registered. Hope that helps. 

The domain is kamalp.co.in and not kamalpr.co.in. The editor here auto-corrected it to kamalpr. If you are a Godaqdy admin, you can see my account for the domain and what records I created.

thanks

-kamal

Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

@kamalp - While I am a Community admin, I wouldn't be able to use any account access I have to verify or disclose information from within an account on a public forum. I can only provide responses here based on information that is already provided publicly. I hope you understand. 

Looking up the records, I see what you mean in that it doesn't look like an MX Record exists. This could just be an issue of configuration. It's not possible to set up an MX Record that is just an IP address. You'll actually need to have an A Record that points to the IP in question. The setup below should work:

MX Record

• Type: MX
  • Name or host: @ 
  • Value or Points to: mail.kamalp.co.in (or a similar subdomain)
  • Priority: 0 (Additional records can have higher numbers. The lower the priority number, the higher the actual priority.)

A Record

• Type: A
  • Name or host: mail (or whatever you chose as the subdomain above)
  • Value or Points to: 117.247.3.233
  • TTL: Whatever value you wish

Alternatively, if you intend to always use the same IP for your MX record as your primary A record (@), you can create a CNAME for "mail" instead of an A Record for it. In that case, the CNAME record would just point to "@". 

As for not being able to remove the A Record starting with 184..., this is usually due to having forwarding enabled for the domain. If you remove any domain forwarding you're using, that should go away on its own. Hope that helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
New

I did as you suggested but have 2 and not 1 failures now. I am not aware of any security implications of disclosing my zone file, so pl let me know if there are, and what steps to take to protect myself. My zone file is shown below:-

---------------------------

; Domain: kamalp.co.in
; Exported (y-m-d hh:mm:ss): 2018-10-31 03:01:37
;
; This file is intended for use for informational and archival
; purposes ONLY and MUST be edited before use on a production
; DNS server.
;
; In particular, you must update the SOA record with the correct
; authoritative name server and contact e-mail address information,
; and add the correct NS records for the name servers which will
; be authoritative for this domain.
;
; For further information, please consult the BIND documentation
; located on the following website:
;
; http://www.isc.org/
;
; And RFC 1035:
;
; http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1035.txt
;
; Please note that we do NOT offer technical support for any use
; of this zone data, the BIND name server, or any other third-
; party DNS software.
;
; Use at your own risk.

; SOA Record
kamalp.co.in. 3600 IN SOA ns67.domaincontrol.com. dns.jomax.net. (
)

; A Records
@ 600 IN A Parked
mail.kamalp.co.in 1800 IN A 117.247.3.233

; CNAME Records
www 3600 IN CNAME @
_domainconnect 3600 IN CNAME _domainconnect.gd.domaincontrol.com.

; MX Records
@ 1800 IN MX 0 mail.kamalp.co.in.

; TXT Records

; SRV Records

; AAAA Records

; CAA Records

; NS Records
@ 3600 IN NS ns67.domaincontrol.com.
@ 3600 IN NS ns68.domaincontrol.com.

New

Pl edit the zone file so that it won't give any errors and i will use the same. I am not particular about what subdomain to use, as it is going to be my personal mail server. but i am interested in ensuring that mail is accessed from localhost and not via the internet.

thanks

-kamal

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @kamalp - I wouldn't be able to edit your DNS records for you. However, I think I see what happened. You just need to change the A Record you created so that the host is "mail" and not "mail.kamalp.co.in". Essentially, right now you have an A Record for mail.kamalp.co.in.kamalp.co.in. Hope that helps. 

New

I changed the A record's host to just "mail", and it gives 3 errors, the last of which is that 117.247.3.233 is not reachable. i can handle the last one, but these 2 will need config changes. Pl tell me the changes so that i can try it out from my side.

thanks

-kamal

------

SOA record checkNo nameservers provided an SOA record for the zone. You should configure your nameservers to have a master slave relationship. The update of the zone information to the slave nameservers should be handled through the SOA record.

MX records check

No MX records exist within the zone. This is legal, but if you want to receive E-mail on this domain, you should have MX record(s). The program can't continue in a case like this, so we are assuming you don't receive mail on this domain.

Community Manager
Community Manager

@kamalp - DNS changes take a bit to propagate across the internet. It's likely any errors you're seeing now are due to that. I'd give it a couple of hours and run your tests again. If you're still seeing problems on a test, please provide the link to the test. 

New

here is the link to test result after a couple of hours. basically  try out dns on mail.kamalp.co.in

https://www.dnsstuff.com/tools#dnsReport|type=domain&&value=mail.kamalp.co.in

thanks

-kamal

Community Manager
Community Manager

@kamalp. The failed tests on that link are because you're testing mail.kamalp.co.in specifically. That host (subdomain) does not have its own nameservers. If you test the domain itself, the fail is occurring because the server you're pointing to is not allowing port 25 connections. 

New

i have created a domain mail.kamalp.co.in and kamalpr.co.in on hmailserver administrator. But it is still giving that error. the mail server has pop/imap and smtp protocols enabled. if you are nt familiar with windows, i could try setting it up on linux.

thanks

-kamal

Community Manager
Community Manager

@kamalp I'm not familiar with email server administration and wouldn't be able to address that. I'd suggest creating a different thread on our Managing Email board for that since it no longer seems to be a DNS record issue. Hope you're able to figure it out!

New

ok thanks

-kamal