cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Random Error when trying to assign URL to Google Sites.

Hey all. I run a website for a small gaming community, and so far I've been using a Forwarding to get the godaddy registered domain www.potholestudios.com to forward to sites.google.com/view/potholestudios

Recently Google has allowed us to use our own domain on this, and I'm in the process of setting it up.

I am currently at Step 2 of the instructions listed here: https://support.google.com/sites/answer/9068867?hl=en

Which says the following:

1. Go to your domain host.
  2. Create a new CNAME entry.
  3. Enter the subdomain name, for example, the "www" of www.YourURL.com.
  4. Type in the host name ghs.googlehosted.com. This will point your URL to your Google site.

When i do exactly as it says, this is what i get:

unhelpful_error.png

So, What do i need to do to correct this "unexpected error"?

EDIT: Seeing as how the Image Uploading system on this forum is broken, here's a link to the screenshot i tried to attach: https://photos.app.goo.gl/vFMQfhQY5QFccD6U6

2 REPLIES 2
Super User III Super User III
Super User III

Re: Random Error when trying to assign URL to Google Sites.

It looks like you've been able to sort this out.  Changes to the DNS can take 1 - 48 hours to resolve.

Solution

Re: Random Error when trying to assign URL to Google Sites.

Yeah, i had to Phone Support, showed them the issue, and they saw there was a problem and manually removed the faulty A WWW value.

Then it happened on a second domain i run..... yep, same again, had to phone support.

Then on my other two domains, i noticed the WWW record was a CNAME instead of an A.... and those seem unaffected by the issue....

So, it looks like the issue was the WWW record being an A instead of a CNAME.

Either way, it had to be manually removed by the support team, as it was refusing to delete when removing the redirect.