cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted
New

Subdomain setup - DNS not found

I have a functioning hosted domain and recently added a couple subdomains.

When entering the URL into a browser, it cannot find the site and states "server DNS address could not be found" (in Chrome, and similar notifications in other browsers as well)

I've read a handful of the other help topics similar to this and none seemed to address the situation or solution.

I feel like it is something simple I am missing but can't quite put my finger on.

I've double checked that creating the subdomain automatically created an "A" DNS entry with the IP address.

Alternatively I've tested by making a "CNAME" DNS entry with @ which did not work either.

For the  record, I have waited 48 hours so it isn't a matter of time to propagate.

My domain is cpsot.org and the subdomains are blog.cpsot.org and courses.cpsot.org.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
New
Solution

Re: Subdomain setup - DNS not found

Ok, so I solved my own problem...which in the end was created by me in the first place,

The status of the subdomains was that they would not load by either blog.cpsot.org or cpsot.org/blog
For yucks, I forwarded the subdomain to itself.
That actually allowed cpsot.org/blog to load but the subdomain format blog.cpsot.org still didn't load.

After a while messing around loading/reloading, I got a different browser message.
It told me it couldn't load the page because I was redirected too many times. (chrome message)
I cleared my cookies and it did not resolve it.

That gave me the answer.
I had some redirects coded into my htaccess file.
Some various items where is would add a trailing slash or add www if not typed sort of thing.
I actually don't remember why I put those in there (I must have tried to standardize the urls to becanonical or something) but I killed them out of the htaccess and everything is working fine.

tl;dr
Check your website for redirects

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
New
Solution

Ok, so I solved my own problem...which in the end was created by me in the first place,

The status of the subdomains was that they would not load by either blog.cpsot.org or cpsot.org/blog
For yucks, I forwarded the subdomain to itself.
That actually allowed cpsot.org/blog to load but the subdomain format blog.cpsot.org still didn't load.

After a while messing around loading/reloading, I got a different browser message.
It told me it couldn't load the page because I was redirected too many times. (chrome message)
I cleared my cookies and it did not resolve it.

That gave me the answer.
I had some redirects coded into my htaccess file.
Some various items where is would add a trailing slash or add www if not typed sort of thing.
I actually don't remember why I put those in there (I must have tried to standardize the urls to becanonical or something) but I killed them out of the htaccess and everything is working fine.

tl;dr
Check your website for redirects

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Where do I find and clear htacess information?

Highlighted
New

Your htaccess file is in the root of your website. If you don't know where it is then I would suspect you have nothing in there to clear (unless somebody else worked on your website previously).
So a web search on the htacess file to familiarize yourself with it. If you enter things wrong it will cause your website no to load.