cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

redirect to www

I want to redirect/forward http://mywebsite.tld to http://www.mywebsite.tld

In GoDaddy's DNS Management: in Forwarding section: i added a domain forward having forward to www.mywebsite.tld, but when i do this then the IP address in A record changes from my custom IP to 184.168.131.241 which isn't my IP, and this IP address is uneditable until i delete the forward. I've left other DNS records as default, in which there's a CNAME record www -> @, if i need to change it then please do tell me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Super User IV

@citizen 

The forwarding uses GoDaddy's servers - so you have 2 options

1) Configure your server / website to do rewrites to add the www - this is the option where your @ record is your IP address and www is a CNAME for @

This is the recommend method so that you can have an SSL certificate work correctly - this is all done server side.

2) Change www from a CNAME to an A record and point it to the IP address - then use the GoDaddy forwarding

This is typically done with services where www is a CNAME to their service and people want the domain itself to get to the site as well (without the www)

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Super User IV

@citizen 

The forwarding uses GoDaddy's servers - so you have 2 options

1) Configure your server / website to do rewrites to add the www - this is the option where your @ record is your IP address and www is a CNAME for @

This is the recommend method so that you can have an SSL certificate work correctly - this is all done server side.

2) Change www from a CNAME to an A record and point it to the IP address - then use the GoDaddy forwarding

This is typically done with services where www is a CNAME to their service and people want the domain itself to get to the site as well (without the www)

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

This is the recommend method so that you can have an SSL certificate work correctly

Didn't know that. Thanks.