cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Emails to me are getting bounced

I send an average of 2-4 emails a day from my godaddy email account. I learned from someone trying to email me that their emails to me have been bouncing back to them with this error message:

Remote-MTA: dns; smtp.secureserver.net
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 554 p3plibsmtp02-09.prod.phx3.secureserver.net bizsmtp 208.47.184.7 has been blocked for the day, for attempting to mail too many invalid recipients. IB113

Can someone explain to me what this means? It seems like it's saying I'm sending too much email and to "invalid" recipients, but like I say, I send only a few emails a day to recipients who are known to me.

5 REPLIES 5
Employee
Employee

Re: Emails to me are getting bounced

Hi @citywide

Thank you for you post. On rare occasions I have seen this code under different circumstances than what is listed. 

Sometimes this code will result due to a message being sent with an attachment that may be executable. For example sending a .EXE file. 

Sometimes, this code will generate because someone in your recipient list is no longer a valid contact and is causing the bounce to occur. 

I have also seen this occur when replying to a message with a log string of content.

Try some of the following to help alleviate the issue and*or narrow down the cause.

1. Try sending emails from  webmail  instead of using an email program such as outlook or mac mail to see if this occurs.

2. Instead of replying to an email, try composing a new message and manually enter the recipients.

3. If you are sending attachment, try compressing the files first in such a format as .zip

If you have any concerns or questions feel free to reply with @TechFly 

Best wishes!

-Techfly 

Thanks but I'm not sure if you understand, these are not emails I am sending, they are ones people are trying to send to me.

Employee
Employee

Hi @citywide

Thank you for the reply. Yes you are correct, I read it as you were sending the emails. However the same troubleshooting steps should be suggested to the sending party as well to help resolve the issue.

Best wishes!

-Techfly 

I am having the same issue. It is unrealistic to tell people that are emailing me to follow the trouble shooting instructions you have described. This problem could negatively effect my business. Please advise with an appropriate solution or I will be looking into switching providers

Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Hi @zerowaste37. To be more precise, the message from the original post states:

208.47.184.7 has been blocked for the day, for attempting to mail too many invalid recipients.

The IP mentioned here does not belong to GoDaddy. This is an indication that the sending server at the IP address listed has one or more of their users sending too many emails to addresses that don't exist in our system. It doesn't mean that the person trying to send to you specifically is doing this. Email servers usually serve messages for many users. Usually, this is an indication that the sending server is being used to send spam. If people that are sending emails to you are getting a similar message, the sender would need to contact their email provider to see if there is any way to investigate and prevent this from happening. We have no control over 3rd party email servers beyond blocking them. Hope that makes sense. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.