cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

Migrating GoDaddy email and domain to Google

I have a domain, registered with GoDaddy. I also have several mailboxes on that domain, also hosted with GoDaddy. I would like to transfer both the domain and the mailboxes to Google Domains. I will be using the Google Apps Migration tool to download the contents of the existing mailboxes via IMAP, and upload them to the new mailboxes at Google.

Here's the problem: I have to transfer the domain from GoDaddy to Google before I can create the new mailboxes at Google. And, since the GoDaddy mailboxes are a free product tied to the domain, I'm afraid that transferring the domain will delete the GoDaddy mailboxes (and their contents).

Is there a way to transfer the domain away from GoDaddy but keep the GoDaddy mailboxes (if only temporarily)? Or is there an alternate approach I should try?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Super User I Super User I
Super User I

Re: Migrating GoDaddy email and domain to Google

The first thing I would do is backup the mailboxes you are migrating. Next you will want to backup the mailboxes you are migrating. Then you should check the backups to insure they are complete and valid. Last thing you want to do is make a backup just in case.

I actually don't think that the transfer is required before you can use the IMAP tool? As far as I am aware registration from Google asks "What email address are you currently using?" and will use that (with an underlying Gmail address) to allow you to do a migration?

When you seek to start sending emails from Google and your custom domain name you will need to complete the transfer and configuration. On a side note why the migration from GoDaddy to Google Domains @immersionactive (just being nosey).

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

I actually don't think that the transfer is required before you can use the IMAP tool?

The tool I'm using is this one (it says it's for Microsoft Exchange, but it works for any mailbox that supports IMAP). The first step asks for the IMAP credentials for the old mail account – so far, so good. But the second step asks for: your Google Apps domain name, a "Service Account credentials file" (obtained from the Google Domains dashboard), and your Google Apps username. So, it sounds like you need to have your domain registered with Google Domains before you can do the migration.

Super User I Super User I
Super User I

In my mind this migration would be a common one so there must be a documented best practice somewhere? Have you contacted Google Domains about this @immersionactive? I'm sure there will be others who are interested in this as well? 

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

Employee
Employee
Solution

Hi @immersionactive , Thank you for being a part of GoDaddy Community! 

If the email credits were free with the purchase with your domain, the credits may no longer be available upon transferring the domain to Google. I recommend backing up your email accounts before transferring your domain so that you protect yourself against any data-loss. Though it is not in our scope of support to do this, I do have steps below that you may use to complete this backup via Outlook.  

Creating a Backup File in Outlook

Also, since this does address a specific credit in your account, I suggest directing questions for any and all migrations regarding emails with GoDaddy, to our Productivity team at 480-463-8719 for assistance. 

Hope this helps! 

Ashley M. - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 Support Available at 480-505-8877