cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New

Sooo frustrated with the complete lack of info and help after buying SSL cert!!!!

I am really frustrated and bordering on anger with the situation after purchasing an SSL cert. Everything I have is hosted by GoDaddy.  I'm paying for Deluxe Windows hosting and recently purchased an SSL.  It "sounded" so easy when I purchased it and tried to install it. Well there was no mention of everything else that's involved.  I'm no expert but I'm not stupid.  The first time I tried to install the cert using the Manage tools it rendered all of my sites inaccessible. All I did was follow the provided instructions. A call to Support and they did fixed it so at least the sites were accessible. Now it turns out I need to add files to each site to redirect. There was no mention up front about additional work having to be done. Like I said, I'm no expert but I'm not stupid. I have Deluxe Windows Hosting.  My last call to Support got me instructions for Linux hosting and to add an .htaccess file. Between the useless web video which was for Word Press (which I don't have) and the suggestion to PAY for EasySSL, I'm beginning to get really pissed off at GoDaddy. All I need is simple, concise directions on how to redirect the sites I have an SSL for to the versions.  Between the Deluxe Hosting, the almost 20 websites and now a useless SSL cert I'm paying good money.  Support informed me that "they don't do that" - meaning make the sites secure unless I pay for EasySSL (on top of the $167) so WHERE can I get SIMPLE, CLEAR instructions on redirecting to https?  Am I asking too much or should I just look for another hosting service?

5 REPLIES 5
Super User III
Super User III

Re: Sooo frustrated with the complete lack of info and help after buying SSL cert!!!!

Okay, so here's the harsh reality of it all for you...

You're responsible for installing this type of stuff on your site unless you pay someone to do it for you. The best bet is to pay to have it done if you don't know how. You can always take your business elsewhere but you will find that things like this are still your responsibility to install and maintain. The help articles that are provided on the GoDaddy Help section have never given me any problems.

I know that's not the answer you want to hear but it's the truth. Good luck!

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I drink and I know things. Especially about websites and web hosting.
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

New

Re: Sooo frustrated with the complete lack of info and help after buying SSL cert!!!!

I'm not upset by the answer. I'm certainly not adverse to doing work on my websites, My frustration stems from the fact that up front there was absolutely nothing indicating that additional work was needed beyond the purchase of the cert and setting it up in Management. Had that been made clear up front I might have taken a different route. That being said - I have Windows web hosting and was given information for Linux hosting. I'm fine using FAQs and Help articles as long as they are pertinent to my needs. None of the images on the FAQs look anything like the views I have to work with. I just don't like purchasing a product that is not clearly represented as "you are on your own". GoDaddy makes it seem like if you are hosted my them everything is automatic.

Highlighted

Hey @wlgiv,

My apologies for the confusion. Not sure how the agent misdirected to an article on only redirecting WordPress sites in your instance. However, we do have a general article here that directly links to instructions for any of our shared hosting environments to help you automatically redirect your traffic to HTTPS. 

Hope this helps. 

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support
New

I have Web Hosting Windows (Deluxe).  I don't have cPanel (that I know of) or Plesk.  Which of the 4 options are appropriate for my hosting solution:

Super User III
Super User III

Hey there,

It sounds as if you're on the old 4th generation Web Hosting, which is an older hosting platform that GoDaddy is phasing out. To my knowledge, they don't really have any articles for installing SSLs on that platform but I could totally be wrong. 

My suggestion, honestly, would be to upgrade your hosting package to a more current server architecture. It's much easier to install SSLs on the newer platforms. Again, GoDaddy also has a service that will install the SSL for you as an option.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I drink and I know things. Especially about websites and web hosting.
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community