cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Baffled by Wordpress

I've built websites using GoDaddy and Network Solutions, both of which took a learning curve, but WP has me totally befuddled.  I don't have the first clue how to use the menu given that it appears anything I do, I have to publish or lose.  My biggest frustration is I can't get any images to upload.  They start and then they hang with a little icon that has a blue bar that only goes half way.

Here are some specific questions:
How do I re-title the menu pages?  Is that even possible?

How do I work on my site and save it without publishing it to the web?

Is there anything you can point me to that will help me figure out how to use the website builder tool?

NOW, I'm going to blink, breathe and drink some water.  Thanks for whatever help you can offer

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Super User I

=> My biggest frustration is I can't get any images to upload.  They start and then they hang with a little icon that has a blue bar that only goes half way.

That sounds like a memory/resource issue.  How large are your images?  Try resizing them down to no larger than 1000 x 1000 pixels and see if that makes a difference.

=> How do I re-title the menu pages?  Is that even possible?

You can customize the text for each menu item by opening the item by clicking on the little arrow icon next to the title.  That then opens up an options panel where you can customize the "Navigation Label" which is what displays on the menu bar.

=> How do I work on my site and save it without publishing it to the web?

WordPress has several "Coming Soon" plugins that put up a landing page that will display while you work in the background and until you are ready to launch:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/search.php?q=coming+soon

=> Is there anything you can point me to that will help me figure out how to use the website builder tool?

GoDaddy does have a ton of articles by topic or the task of interest...

HTH! 😉

Judith
"Broken crayons still color." Anon

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Super User I

=> My biggest frustration is I can't get any images to upload.  They start and then they hang with a little icon that has a blue bar that only goes half way.

That sounds like a memory/resource issue.  How large are your images?  Try resizing them down to no larger than 1000 x 1000 pixels and see if that makes a difference.

=> How do I re-title the menu pages?  Is that even possible?

You can customize the text for each menu item by opening the item by clicking on the little arrow icon next to the title.  That then opens up an options panel where you can customize the "Navigation Label" which is what displays on the menu bar.

=> How do I work on my site and save it without publishing it to the web?

WordPress has several "Coming Soon" plugins that put up a landing page that will display while you work in the background and until you are ready to launch:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/search.php?q=coming+soon

=> Is there anything you can point me to that will help me figure out how to use the website builder tool?

GoDaddy does have a ton of articles by topic or the task of interest...

HTH! 😉

Judith
"Broken crayons still color." Anon

View solution in original post