cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I set up a wordpress staging environment on godaddy hosting?

Hi there - I'm updating a site hosted on godaddy. It is a wordpress site right now. I want to build a new wordpress site with a new theme without taking down the old one. Once the new one is finished, I then want to switch it over to the new site/template/content.

Can anyone explain the best way to do this on godaddy hosting?

I've worked with other hosting providers that specialize in wordpress and they had a very easy 'one click' solution but I haven't been able to find that on goDaddy.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
Rockstar I Rockstar I
Rockstar I

Re: How can I set up a wordpress staging environment on godaddy hosting?

Hi @IIsitebuilder,

If you are using cPanel you won't find an option to create a staging environment.  You'll need to get a managed wordpress hosting account.  All you have to do is go through the setup wizard and create your installation. 

After you've obtained your managed wordpress hosting you'll see a new option in your login panel that says managed wordpress hosting.  Setup a wordpress installation and then you'll see two options. One says Manage and it will take you to your admin dashboard for wp.  The other says Settings and this is where you will create your Staging environment.

Once you have installed your theme and plugins, you can use the Staging tab to create your clone of the production environment.  You'll have the option of either creating a complete clone of your production environment or just a clone of the themes/plugins.

Going live is very easy.  All you have to do is add your domain name using the general tab and then use the information in the DNS tab to get the IP that goes with your A-record.

Hope this helps,

James

Not Just Pretty Sites, Pretty Doggone Smart Sites

I built out a couple of sites on Managed Wordpress and whenever I pull production to staging or Staging to production the account breaks and stays in an endless loop. I don't think Godaddy perfected their Managed Wordpress account. I waited 7 days while my site was down. They first told me 3 hours, then 24 hours, then the max wait time of 72 hours and before I knew it my site was down for a week. I wouldn't count on using the staging and production sections of managed wordpress together. There is a lot the support team has to do manually to make it work each time. 

Once I finally get the staging environment set up, how do I go there to work on the site?

Thanks!

Employee
Employee

Hiya @BobLewisPhoto!

We have a lot of help articles available to guide you through this process. This one tells you how to access your staging environment. Subsequent articles are linked from that one or can be found using the search at the top of the page. 

Heather - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support
Rockstar I Rockstar I
Rockstar I

I too, have had this problem several times so I stopped using it while I wait for GoDaddy to update the manage WP platform.

My solution is creating two separate wp installations.  If I'm using managed WP I use the temporary domain name as "staging environment".  On both installations I install UpdraftPlus Backup and Migration (on the list of GoDaddy Approved Plugins).  When I get ready to "push" my updates to the production environment I use the "migrate" feature of UpdraftPlus to publish the updates.  Its fast and its worked every time for me.

Hopefully, this is one of the issues that will be fixed when the new servers are installed.  I really like the idea as it is indeed a great way to manage a site from a single panel.

Hope this helps,

James

Not Just Pretty Sites, Pretty Doggone Smart Sites

Hello,

Our Wordpress site has been setup on the staging side.  It was then synced to the production site.  When users try to make edits/posts on the production site they are prompted to select a theme and rebuild the site.  Users can make posts on the staging site without issue.  How can we allow them to edit the production site without being sent through theme selection, etc.?

New

@JMPepper wrote:

I too, have had this problem several times so I stopped using it while I wait for GoDaddy to update the manage WP platform.

My solution is creating two separate wp installations.  If I'm using managed WP I use the temporary domain name as "staging environment".  On both installations I install UpdraftPlus Backup and Migration (on the list of GoDaddy Approved Plugins).  When I get ready to "push" my updates to the production environment I use the "migrate" feature of UpdraftPlus to publish the updates.  Its fast and its worked every time for me.

Hopefully, this is one of the issues that will be fixed when the new servers are installed.  I really like the idea as it is indeed a great way to manage a site from a single panel.

Hope this helps,

James

Can you explain more about the process of building the new site and then how to publish new theme/design to existing site.....THANKS!!!

Attempt to load Staging WP Admin always loads Production Site instead

Noob here.

I am able to pull and push between production and staging. 

However when I attempt to enter the "Staging WP Admin" by hitting the button or from the dropdown menu, I can see WP loading the initial address of the staging site but then it suddenly changes and loads the Production WP Admin site. 

Double checking, indeed, making changes on the WP Admin page that loads from hitting the Staging WP Admin button results in direct changes to the production site. 

Is there a way to confirm that the WP Admin page you loaded is the staging site and not the production site? Will the URL in the address show the staging site's URL? 

For Example: https://YOUR_STAGING_SITE.com/wp-admin/index.php
?

Thank you.