cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Is there a way to keep old site in production and create a new site from scratch?

I have a company website live - they want a whole new look.  I know if I go back into staging with a new theme it will keep the css which breaks things and how it looks. I just want to start new.   

Whats the easiest way of doing this? Upgrade Wordpress that works with 2 domains?  Any other way without breaking whats live? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rockstar I Rockstar I
Rockstar I
Solution

Re: Is there a way to keep old site in production and create a new site from scratch?

Hi @eBayAddict,

In a situation like yours, here's what I do.  I use a managed wp  hosting account and create an installation to a temporary domain.  All of the development is done on this temporary site until I'm ready to go live.  With the managed wp hosting platform,  changing to go live is a matter of a few clicks and updating the IP address for the A-record on my domain name.  If the domain is registered at GoDaddy this is a very seamless and quick change with next to zero down time.  If the domain is registered elsewhere, down time is minimum and is determined by how quickly the other registrar refreshes its tables.

Also, there is a "staging" feature in the managed wp hosting that allows you to use the temporary domain feature and then "push" the staged site into production.  A very useful feature to keep development fresh.  However, if you use the staging feature attend to the details of the push to a live site!

Hope this helps,

James

Not Just Pretty Sites, Pretty Doggone Smart Sites

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Rockstar I Rockstar I
Rockstar I
Solution

Re: Is there a way to keep old site in production and create a new site from scratch?

Hi @eBayAddict,

In a situation like yours, here's what I do.  I use a managed wp  hosting account and create an installation to a temporary domain.  All of the development is done on this temporary site until I'm ready to go live.  With the managed wp hosting platform,  changing to go live is a matter of a few clicks and updating the IP address for the A-record on my domain name.  If the domain is registered at GoDaddy this is a very seamless and quick change with next to zero down time.  If the domain is registered elsewhere, down time is minimum and is determined by how quickly the other registrar refreshes its tables.

Also, there is a "staging" feature in the managed wp hosting that allows you to use the temporary domain feature and then "push" the staged site into production.  A very useful feature to keep development fresh.  However, if you use the staging feature attend to the details of the push to a live site!

Hope this helps,

James

Not Just Pretty Sites, Pretty Doggone Smart Sites

View solution in original post

I have a similar problem. My old web site - and it is really old - is running on cpanel. We need an entirely new site but using some of the same data, photos etc.  I was advised to simply use the WordPress plugin but that seems to be far to easy and the plugin is also for a blog - not our type of commercial site.  The objective is not to lose the domain, but simply change the site and the platform.  Would it be better to use a different plug in and then create the new site and delete the old?  Thanks.