cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Redirect wordpress multisite primary blog to new url

I have a client who currently has a number of sites on Wordpress mult-site install. They want to move their primary site to a new stand-alone, managed wordpress site, but leave all of the remaining sites in the multisite install in-place and NOT change the domain name.  Does anyone know if/how this might be done?  I can't come up with a way without changing the domain name of either the multisite or the new site..

3 REPLIES 3

Hi @ctbenson55

This depends largely on how the multi-site is setup and what hosting service you are using for it. As far as I know, it can only be done if the other sites use subdomains or separate domain names.

The other site can continue working off of the subdomains (e.g., site1.maindomain.com site2.maindomain.com) and the DNS of the primary domain can be updated to point to the new server.

In this way, you would not have to actually change the domain name on the original hosting server, but the DNS would still point to the new server.

If the old multi-site server does not have a dedicated IP or if it uses a URL based multi-site (e.g., maindomain.com/site1, maindomain.com/site2) this wouldn't be an option.

If both hosting plans are with us, I suggest contacting our support teams to see if they can help you get this setup.

^Gary

Gary - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 Support | Check System Status

Hi Gary - Thanks for the reply.

I did think of that solution too, as the multi-site instance IS using subdomains for the sites on it.

However I was then concerned for how to access the Network Admin dashboard for the multi-site after pointing the main domain's A record to the new server's ip address (since the Network Admin is accessed through maindomain/wp-admin/network...thoughts on this??

Good news is that both of these sites ARE hosted with Godaddy, so I'll plan to discuss with the support folks too, but I'd be interested to know your thoughts on the network admin aspect.

Thanks Again

Chris

@ctbenson55, that actually slipped my mind.

There may be a way to setup the network admin to be accessed through a subdomain, such as admin.maindomain.com, but I'm not familiar enough with multisite to know how to configure the network admin in that way.

This is a pretty complex setup for using WordPress and Multisite. Perhaps another community member has set something like this up before and will be able to provide some insight.

^Gary

Gary - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 Support | Check System Status