cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Helper I

Specific Wordpress Backup and Restore Instructions

Is anyone willing to provide step by step specific instructions on how to backup and restore a wordpress website?  The instructions should be written so someone who is completely unfamiliar with Wordpress and computers could complete the task.  This would be a tremendous asset to all Wordpress users and we would be extremely grateful for your contribution. Thank you in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
Solution

Re: Specific Wordpress Backup and Restore Instructions

Hi @tslazyk5894,

You could always refer to the Wordpress or Godaddy (if managed Wordpress) docs.......

https://uk.godaddy.com/help/restore-your-site-9187 (managed Wordpress)

And there is a huge amount of other links for this.

Helper I
Solution

That's great.  I will.  Thank you.  What is "Managed Wordpress?"  I have never heard that term before.   Just wanted to know how the term "Managed Wordpress" came into existence, what is it?  What is the difference between managed and unmanaged? 

Highlighted
Helper I
Solution

I decided to go with a plugin named "WP-DBManager" as the backup utility and then do the following: 

1. Download the entire “wp-content” folder off your server. This folder is the heart of your WordPress site.
2. In your root directory which is usually public_html, download a copy of your .htaccess, robots.txt and wp-config.php files.

3. Go to your back-up folder and download a copy of that database file.
4. Last but not least, go back into your WordPress dashboard and go to Tools > Export and download your WordPress XML file that contains your content, posts and pages.

This will help a lot.  Thanks for the advice. Now I'm going to put it all to the test. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @tslazyk5894,

Glad to help Smiley Happy