cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Helper I

Specific Wordpress Backup and Restore Instructions

Is anyone willing to provide step by step specific instructions on how to backup and restore a wordpress website?  The instructions should be written so someone who is completely unfamiliar with Wordpress and computers could complete the task.  This would be a tremendous asset to all Wordpress users and we would be extremely grateful for your contribution. Thank you in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
Solution

Re: Specific Wordpress Backup and Restore Instructions

Hi @tslazyk5894,

You could always refer to the Wordpress or Godaddy (if managed Wordpress) docs.......

https://uk.godaddy.com/help/restore-your-site-9187 (managed Wordpress)

And there is a huge amount of other links for this.

Helper I
Solution

That's great.  I will.  Thank you.  What is "Managed Wordpress?"  I have never heard that term before.   Just wanted to know how the term "Managed Wordpress" came into existence, what is it?  What is the difference between managed and unmanaged? 

Helper I
Solution

I decided to go with a plugin named "WP-DBManager" as the backup utility and then do the following: 

1. Download the entire “wp-content” folder off your server. This folder is the heart of your WordPress site.
2. In your root directory which is usually public_html, download a copy of your .htaccess, robots.txt and wp-config.php files.

3. Go to your back-up folder and download a copy of that database file.
4. Last but not least, go back into your WordPress dashboard and go to Tools > Export and download your WordPress XML file that contains your content, posts and pages.

This will help a lot.  Thanks for the advice. Now I'm going to put it all to the test. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @tslazyk5894,

Glad to help Smiley Happy