cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Getting Started

Wanting to Use a Blogging Forum

I want to start a blog to accent my e-commerce website. Nothing vast and fancy - just a place where I can write articles and maybe talk about some of the products I make. A long time ago, I had a blog on Blogger, and it suited me - it wasn't overwhelming and allowed me to do basic writing. Having my site on GoDaddy, of course, WordPress came up when I started trying to figure out how I could incorporate a blog into my site. (I am new to all of this and don't know how to do much or understand many terms. It isn't for lack of trying - this stuff just uses a part of the brain I am apparently lacking. I still quietly celebrate on the daily that I got a basic website up!) Before I shell out the money to do the whole WordPress thing, I would like some input from you, knowledgeable users. Is this going to provide me with just a place for articles and maybe some links in those articles, that can look like my website and be a sort of add on section? Or is this much more powerful, and I would be wasting vast capabilities that require much more programming and knowledge than I am capable of? (I don't want to spend hours researching things online just to do the simplest functions. It doesn't interest me. At all. In fact, it terrifies me and makes me nauseous.) Hearing other posts talk about cpanels and SQL makes my eyes glaze over in a bit of admiration for those capable of learning how to work within those or know what they even mean! I am willing to learn a new program so that I can have a blog on my site, and I'm even willing to put the time in to learn how to make it blend cosmetically with my site. I'm just not ready to go on a Google hunt or Community search every time I want to make a short post.

Is WordPress too complicated for me? Would I be wasting my money? Or is it something I could quickly learn to blog with - and maybe utilize additional features in the future? If you think WordPress is the way to go, then what's the best way for a computer illiterate to learn to use it? Is there a way to use just the blogging feature and put it on my blog without it costing money? I am tired of fumbling around in the dark on this one and could really use some guidance. Thanks for reading this long post and for giving me your expert insight. (And yes, you are an expert compared to me!)

Thank you for your help as I ask stupid questions! Please be gentle and explain things in a basic way, or I won't understand. I'm brand new and really trying to learn...but it's slow. Thank you!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @QueenKatherine,

Welcome to the Community!

You may be a great candidate for using the Websites+Marketing plan with GoDaddy (instead of WordPress). A website and blog in one, without the need to worry about php updates and plugin compatibility. There's also a free 30-day trial, so it costs you nothing to jump in and try it out. If you use the eCommerce version, it has the store, blog, marketing, inventory management, and shipping control, all-in-one. Without the need to "code" anything to make it work. You can take a look at the features here, and start free to see if you like it.

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Super User IV

@QueenKatherine 

What is your existing website and what system is it using? WordPress can be used for blogging, but also have e-commerce features via WooCommerce. Unless you have a specific reasoning, I would recommend having everything in one system as then you can leverage the traffic of both types of content

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

@PL281 I have the Websites+Marketing plan. Do you still think WooCommerce is the way to go?

Thank you so much for your help. Nothing like someone throwing out a lifesaver when you're bobbing in the ocean feeling alone!

Thank you for your help as I ask stupid questions! Please be gentle and explain things in a basic way, or I won't understand. I'm brand new and really trying to learn...but it's slow. Thank you!

Hi @QueenKatherine,

Welcome to the Community!

You may be a great candidate for using the Websites+Marketing plan with GoDaddy (instead of WordPress). A website and blog in one, without the need to worry about php updates and plugin compatibility. There's also a free 30-day trial, so it costs you nothing to jump in and try it out. If you use the eCommerce version, it has the store, blog, marketing, inventory management, and shipping control, all-in-one. Without the need to "code" anything to make it work. You can take a look at the features here, and start free to see if you like it.

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

View solution in original post

Wait - that's the plan I have. I can blog on this plan without needing something like WordPress?

Thank you so much for your help - I really appreciate it!