cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

switched from wordpress to squarespace and my site is gone

I switched over last night, thinking I could still get into my wordpress account and bring my blog posts over. I can't do that for some reason though and my links to the posts aren't working. Where did those posts go, did they vanish? Is there a way to reverse this switch? I can't for the life of me figure out what my wordpress login info was, I always just logged into my site to make changes using the admin username and my password. 

7 REPLIES 7
Community Manager

Hi @libbyj302. Welcome to GoDaddy Community!

Whether or not you'd be able to access your posts depends on if you've already canceled your hosting account. If so, then your website content would already be deleted from our servers. If you still have your hosting account up though, and have only changed where your domain is pointing, there are ways you can still get your content. Which situation are you in? If you share that, someone in the community can likely point you in the right direction. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

@JesseW Thank you - I'm having same issue.  My host has always been GoDaddy.  I used to do Wordpress via Godaddy but then switched to Squarespace.  Again, always have had GoDaddy as my host.  Do you know of anyone that can please help me recover old blog posts??

Thanks a million!

Community Manager

Hey @kerri311. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community. 

Whether or not your blog content still exists depends on whether or not you've canceled the hosting you have with us. If you have, then it might still exist in emergency backups, but a restore would have to be done before you could get access to it. If you haven't canceled the account, then there are a couple ways you could get the blog without involving support. I will list those below.

Change your WordPress domain: If you update the domain that is used on your WordPress install, you could then access it again without disrupting your current site. The easiest way to do this would be to use a subdomain, like blog.yourdomain.com. Since you can't access the WordPress dashboard without the domain, you'd need to change it via the site's database or core files. See https://codex.wordpress.org/Changing_The_Site_URL for more on that. 

Update your computer's host file: This is the method I find easiest but it can be tricky to learn. Essentially what you do is update a file in your computer to tell it to route your domain to a different IP address. This only affects your view of the site but still gives you access to the old site. More information on this method here: https://www.godaddy.com/help/preview-your-website-using-host-files-3354

There may be other ways to do this as well. Maybe others in the community will have additional suggestions. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Thank you @JesseW!  I'll probably have to try out the second option because I've forgotten my Wordpress login.....and when I request password be reset..my email (through GoDaddy's Webmail) isn't working.  I can't receive emails anymore.  😕   If anyone has ideas on how I can obtain my old wordpress blog I'd greatly appreciate it.

Community Manager

You're welcome @kerri311. Since your domain isn't really pointed at your site, using a password reset probably wouldn't work for you as the email wouldn't be able to send. However, this article has a few suggestions on other ways you can update your password and hopefully get into the dashboard: https://codex.wordpress.org/Resetting_Your_Password

In regard to the issue with your email, if you updated your domain's nameservers to point to Wix, that could break the way your email functions. In that case you'd need to find the correct MX Records for the email service you have and make sure those records get set up in Wix's DNS management. 

@JesseW - thanks again.  I was attempting to login to Wordpress from GoDaddy under "My Products" / "Hosting" / Wordpress App.  I set up an update.  And once it was complete, I clicked on LOGIN and received this error message:  

404 Not Found

1806dnij/ZAnDzRPn @ Sat, 30 Jul 2016 04:15:53 GMT

BRICK-53

Any ideas on what's going on with this?  I'd love to just hire someone to help me recover my posts 😕 

Again, everything I did above was from GoDaddy site.  Thank you

Community Manager

@kerri311 That error would usually mean that your domain isn't pointed toward your hosting account. You'll need to make sure you've edited your host file so that your domain's DNS is resolving to the hosting you have with us if you want to access the site that way.