cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Direct linked hosted png file URL returning 404

Greetings,

I have an economy linux cpanel hosting package, a managed ssl cert and domain hosting through godaddy. I have been pleased with the support and services so far. 

Today I needed to add a PNG image to my website for direct linking and discovered these URL addresses were returning 404 errors after uploading through cPanel File Manager.

I looked through all the available related threads and could not find a solution to my problem, unfortunately.

I would greatly appreciate your assistance in these matters.

Solutions I have investigated thus far unsuccessfully:
1) filename is all lowercase - mdlheader.png
2) attempted two file locations, root directory and a new \images\ folder
3) cPanel Security > Hotlink Protection:
A: Deleted png entry on line item of "block direct access for the following extensions"
B: Checked box to "allow direct requests" via URL
4) changed file permissions to 0750, 0755, 0644 - none resolve the 404
5) changed images directory permissions to 0644  - no success

I would like to understand this on a technical level so I can add to the "images" folder in the future, however at this point I really just need one image file to not bounce a 404, regardless of the directory structure.

https://exampledomain.com/mdlheader.png
https://exampledomain.com/images/mdlheader.png 

Thank you for your assistance, I am very grateful for your time.

- Peter

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@PeterWittMDL 

You file needs to be the public_html folder as otherwise it's outside where the domain is pointed to 

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Super User IV

@PeterWittMDL 

1) Can you post a screen shot of your file manager

2) I see you are using Spreadshirt.com which maybe overwriting certain things although I don't think it should.

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Thank you for your assistance, PL281.

1) Here is the file UI, unmodified except for my manual blurring of a string of characters after the home/ folder, which I felt may have been a unique identifier.godaddy file manager ui.png

2) I agree, GoDaddy serves the HTML file that the Spreadshirt site is served through as Javascript, as far as I understand the arrangement. I don't see how the files throwing 404 would be related, but I have heard of stranger things.

@PeterWittMDL 

You file needs to be the public_html folder as otherwise it's outside where the domain is pointed to 

View solution in original post