cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

FTP Will Not Connect using FileZilla

This used to work, but now when I try to connect via FileZilla to FTP, I get a connection timeout. Could not connect to server. This happens at work and at home on two different computers. Any thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
New

Try to connect using these steps.

1.go to your ftp accounts on cpanel.

2.click on configure ftp clients.

3.note down the server ip address of the hosting account for Ex;(127.0.0.1).

4.open filezilla and goto site manager .

5.in host field write down the ip address of the hosting server and port 21.

6.In encryption tab only use plain ftp insecure.

7.In logon method select Ask for password.

8.enter the username & password shown in configure ftp clients.

9.its done it connects automatically.

View solution in original post

49 REPLIES 49

Unfortunately, I don't have any answers, but I can tell you that this happened to me last time I tried to connect via SFTP using Filezilla. I have 10 accounts in Managed hosting and they were all giving me trouble, off and on. I called in and eventually got it to work on the one I needed it to, but it stopped right after I hung up from support.  Support insinuated that I was just using the wrong password, but I know that wasn't the problem. There's definitely something going on with the SFTP connections.

I was having the same problem.  When I specified Port 21 (typed 21 in the box next to port) in the quickconnect settings, it started working.  Try that and see if it helps.

Helper V

@leehrat

Hello there,

I had to use the older filezilla to connect. Something going on with the new filezilla .......

I just x out of the pop up saying there is a new filezilla update now or something rather.

Roll back your filezilla and see if that helped you too?

Wish you well

Mrsroadrunner Photography

Good thought. I did end up getting support on chat and they said to use a specific IP address to connect to for the host and not my domain name. So that actually worked!

FileZilla does not work with GoDaddy/Comcast reliably.  I have been having trouble with it for months, maybe years (get too many connections from this IP error 421).  I finally switched back to Ipswitch WS_FTP LE and I have no problems.  

Same problem,  Firewall was blocking.  We're a small company so I can play with stuff if I'm really careful.  Using my browser logged into hardware modem using the admin account.

Found the firewall setting was set to "normal" and moved it down to off.

Filezilla worked, made connection.

Went back to the open browser window, put the firewall setting back, saved, done.

To thoroughly wring it out I would have downloaded firewall settings into a text file and looked for missing/disabled things Godaddy's sftp needed - might be ports, protocols, etc.  BUT who's got the time.

I just joined GoDaddy from HostGator, seems I may have to go back to HostGator and figure things out there.  I've NEVER had any issues with them in connectivity.  I can't even get FileZilla to connect using FTP or SFTP.  I've tried various methods like using either my numerical or direct host name and a few other tricks.  Nothing at all.  I tried hitting the chat button but that went gray and was told to call but from what I'm reading here that well may be a waste of time as well.  If a hosting service can't keep up with the demand then there's a problem internally, not us! 

Godaddy is the worst! My client used this junk and I have to deal with it. 

I too switched from Hostgator to GoDaddy and now I can't get Filezilla to connect. I have been on the phone with support and they have sent me a new password and troubleshooting information but I still get a 530 Login authentication failed. I am NOT happy!

Had OP's problem, somewhat intermittent at first then persistent. 

I used IP address and port 21 to connect and FZ reported it didn't recognize GD's cert, provided details and gave option to recognize cert for the site. Accepted option and connected. No problems so far.

Wayneau

Hi can I know which FTP you are trying to connect? like what hosting are you in? Godaddy?

FYI: There are some point in hosting specially when you are on the Shared Business Hosting many websites FTP trying to connect on it and when server is full it will respond as 'Connection Time Out there are 5 connection trying to connect...' or something.

You make a good point. Some of these shared hosting account servers have hundreds of websites on them. One site getting lots of traffic can cause trouble, but the company isn't going to tell you that. Same thing with large amounts of data being uploaded. It causes a bottleneck and it times out before it can get connected or started? All hosting companies are not equal, and overloading a server isn't a problem for them until it starts causing tech issues or customers start complaining.

You make a good point. Some of these shared hosting account servers have hundreds of websites on them. One site getting lots of traffic can cause trouble, but the company isn't going to tell you that. Same thing with large amounts of data being uploaded. It causes a bottleneck and it times out before it can get connected or started? All hosting companies are not equal, and overloading a server isn't a problem for them until it starts causing tech issues or customers start complaining.
New

HAS ANYONE GOT AN ANSWER FOR THIS?????

Are you all still experiencing this issue? I am really annoyed! Filezilla used to work and not I'm having sorts of problems. The timed out error is dumb because my username and password are correct, no question. My IP is also correct as I pasted it directly from the cpanel.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Disregard

Bump...really need an answer to this. I am using the IP address, a username/password combo I created in the cPanel. I'm able to reach the server, but when it goes to log in, we get an "authentication failed" message, even though I double checked the username/password combo.

Thanks, in advance.

Have the same problem. Works fine using the IP for a little while, then right back to the authentication crap. It would be nice if Godaddy would fix this, instead of making more terrible commercials. The more I research this problem, the more people I find having the same issue. It's almost as if Godaddy doesn't care. Their quality is really starting to show, and its on a downward trend. 

So annoying and frustrating, and they just don't seem to care at all.

Edit: What a joke... tried numerous times to connect with IP, so for giggles I put it back to domain name, and it connects instantly.

Exact same problem. Created a new user ID now I can connect but get time out listing directory.

has anyone solved any of theses issues? Going to recommend my client drop Go Daddy.

File Zilla (instead of updating the Zilla) I stepped back one version when it used to work oh so well. It works like a charm.  It was so frustrating that everyone at work was complaining about this.  I taught them all how to step back one version and keep hitting the close on the update box one extra click is worth less headache. So how did Go Daddy make File Zillla update their software?