cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

I can not make a URL ending with .pdf work on my site

I need to display a pdf file when the users go to http://vehicularnet.com/report.pdf . It does not matter if the pdf will be displayed or downloaded by the user's browser. I uploaded the pdf file with the name report.pdf using cPanel's File Manager in public_html with the necessary permissions. I also can not redirect this URL.

What do I do now?

6 REPLIES 6
Super User I Super User I
Super User I

Re: I can not make a URL ending with .pdf work on my site

The report on your website is linked to a external file 1c9mpcgk9_679991.pdf Is that the intention @esallum?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

Yes, it is exactly this PDF. I made this page through godaddy's websitebuilder. But I want when the user types in the url http://www.vehicularnet.com/report.pdf the PDF file is downloaded or automatically viewed by the browser.

Is there any way I can do it via cPanel?

Super User I
Solution

The simple answer is "Yes" but I don't know your specific setup. If your domain is pointed to Website Builder then files uploaded to your unassociated cPanel hosting will not show in those paths.

In your cPanel perhaps you can create a files.yourdomain.com as a addon domain pointing it to a files folder on your cPanel hosting? That would give you file access directly to files.yourdomain.com/whateverfile.pdf but anything you upload through Website Builder will take on the format of the Builder file structure. Does that make sense? 

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

Yes, make all sense. How do I make my site point to cPanel instead of pointing to Web Site Builder?

Super User I

If you move your domain pointing to your Website Builder website to cPanel your existing website will no longer be available. Unless you are planning on creating a new website on your cPanel you probably do not want to do that. I think that what you really want is to have a simple URL that people can access? If I may suggest the GoDaddy URL Shortener for your use... It will give you a short URL to present, email, text... to your clients. Check out URL Shortener Help and get your own short URL associated with your GoDaddy account. I hope that helps?