cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

JPG files with an underscore in the files name are not recongized

I have some image files (JPG) that have an underscore in the filename that are not being recognized.  I get a 404 error.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: JPG files with an underscore in the files name are not recongized

Are there file name rules for cPanel?  If so, can someone supply a link?  TNX

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @gymusic, as cPanel runs on Linux servers, it would follow the file naming system for that operating system.  You can read about specific rules for Linux files here: https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linuxunix-rules-for-naming-file-and-directory-names/.  

Thanks!  

MPC

MPC, TNX for your reply and the link.  It appears from your link, that underscore CAN be used in a file name, yet is not working for me.  To be more specific... I have a sub menu "/pix/" under the public_html menu.  They are JPG image files.  When I place file names in a browser, the ones with a _ in the file name, I get a "file not found 404".  All other files can be seen.

Hi @gymusic,

You note that this pertains to JPG image files that you have placed in a subfolder. Are the references in your html coding sending the links to this folder? In other words, are you linking to the image file through yourdomain.com/the_imagefile.jpg, or yourdomain.com/pix/the_imagefile.jpg? Can you provide your domain name and show a screen shot of where we would find a link to one of the pictures for which you are getting a 404 error?

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

Again, TNX for the reply.  Here's an example.

www.gymusic.com/pix/Ampex300_01.jpg

Super User III Super User III
Super User III
Solution

Linux is case-sensitive, so image.jpg is not the same as image.JPG

http://www.gymusic.com/pix/Ampex300_01.JPG

Solution

You are so correct.  I don't know how I missed that.  I thank you so much for the help.  Problem solved.  Operator error.