cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

PhP within HTML stopped working after SSL cert renewed

Hi,

My website uses PHP code inside .html pages, and I had modified the .htaccess to get this to work using: 

AddHandler fcgid-script .html
 FCGIWrapper /usr/local/cpanel/cgi-sys/php5 .html

This has been working perfectly on my site for the past 3 months.

This week my Let's Encrypt SSL cert expired, which I renewed, but since renewing the SSL cert, the php code inside .html pages no longer works. (PHP is still working on the site however).

I made no code changes to the site, the only change was the renewed SSL cert.

I contacted GoDaddy support who basically told me it's not their problem (Thanks GoDaddy!).

I have tried changing/deleting the .htaccess, changing the code, changing PHP versions, the old SSL cert has been deleted, but nothing will get it working again.

Bit of a strange problem - hopefully someone might be able to help? I am using shared Linux hosting.

Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11
New

Re: PhP within HTML stopped working after SSL cert renewed

I also having this issue from last week , SSL also not expired.

Thanks

New

I'm also facing the same issue from last week php inside html file is not working. It was working before.

htaccess file configuration:

Options +ExecCGI
AddHandler fcgid-script .html
AddHandler x-httpd-php5-3 .html
AddHandler x-httpd-php5-cgi .css
FCGIWrapper /usr/local/cpanel/cgi-sys/php5 .html

Can somebody help me to solve this issues, with php inside html file. 

I am using shared Linux hosting.

php includes on my html file, that had been working flawlessly for 6 months, on my site died this morning.  I know because I updated the website by changing two php includes yesterday evening, and I verified everything was working at midnight last night before I logged off.  I opened the website up today, and all the php includes (including the ones I didn't touch) are no longer working.

Haven't changed anything on our site since 2017, down today due to non parsing of embedded php. I now see a banner at the top of cpanel saying our server has changed, without notice.. Thinking this is why my php is now broken.. I think I'm going to switch hosting, this is ridiculous!

Hi all - I spent another 2 hours talking to GoDaddy support yesterday about this issue.

I was told repeatedly that no changes have been made at their end to the servers, no configuration changes, everything is exactly the same… Apparently this has come from the “higher up” techs.

Solution posted below, thanks acm111!

New
Solution

I contacted GoDaddy support and they said straight away that people running .html as .php would have this problem now due to a CPanel update (nothing to do with SSL, that's just a coincidence!)

As they are no longer using FCGIWrapper, use the following in your .htaccess instead:

Options +ExecCGI
AddHandler application/x-httpd-lsphp .html

They advised me also to kill all php processes in cpanel, but I didn't bother as updating .htaccess fixed it for me straight away.

New

Thank you very much,  it worked for me as well.

Problem solved.

Hi acm111,

Thank you! This has worked for me also and fixed the issue - so it was a scripting problem, caused by a server update(!). 

It's a shame their other support staff are not aware of the fix, which would have saved much time and many headaches!

Best wishes

I thank you, acm111.  I'm just sorry that they decided to do it, and then didn't claim credit for their actions.

And aw ratspit, GoDaddy, I'm sure you're simply not able to understand how little us dumb customers are appreciating all you are doing for us with items like this. 

Last time I checked, while you provide us BDUs the ability to get to cPanel, the crippled nature of what's in your configuration of this resource leads me to believe you don't exactly embrace it.  Which is fair enough.  You know as well as we do there are other web providers out there ... for far cheaper ... and if you pull more stunts like this, I suspect your actions may turn out to be a fine growth opportunity for said providers.

Thanks acm111 - was on chat support for a VERY long time two days ago where the tech was insisting that nothing server side had changed. I knew that could not possibly be the case as my include files just stopped working out of nowhere. Your solution did the trick. Thanks!

New

I just switched to cPanel and all of the older solutions didn't work until I found this thread. I am posting just to verify that the solution still works as of 5/7/2019.