cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Vulnerable ports on a hosted site

I have a hosted service (not vps or dedicated) with go daddy.

Who can I contact to close all my vulnerable ports or at least get into a conversation about the security implications of those open and my options to mitigate?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PL281
Super User II

@aprilsmudger 

I assume since you posted in the cPanel board and you mentioned that you are not using a VPS/Dedicated, that in fact that you have a cPanel account.

If that is the case the short answer is there is not much that you can do. By nature of a cPanel (Shared) account, GoDaddy controls ports / security settings / etc - They do not have the ability to adjust it just for your server

If you want the ability to adjust ports for your server, you will need to go to a VPS server. Here is a post that I put up last week about security settings on a VPS to pass a PCI compliance scan

https://www.godaddy.com/community/VPS-Dedicated-Servers/Settings-for-a-Gen4-VPS-with-cPanel-for-PCI-...

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
PL281
Super User II

@aprilsmudger 

I assume since you posted in the cPanel board and you mentioned that you are not using a VPS/Dedicated, that in fact that you have a cPanel account.

If that is the case the short answer is there is not much that you can do. By nature of a cPanel (Shared) account, GoDaddy controls ports / security settings / etc - They do not have the ability to adjust it just for your server

If you want the ability to adjust ports for your server, you will need to go to a VPS server. Here is a post that I put up last week about security settings on a VPS to pass a PCI compliance scan

https://www.godaddy.com/community/VPS-Dedicated-Servers/Settings-for-a-Gen4-VPS-with-cPanel-for-PCI-...

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

JesseW
Community Manager

Hi @aprilsmudger. Thanks for posting. There are a lot of ports on our shared hosting servers that are already locked down. For security reasons, we do not share a list of closed ports anywhere. However, if there are specific ports you're worried about, feel free to reach out to me via a private message and I can find out if those ports are open or closed for you. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.