cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Helper II

Which flavour and version of Linux does cPanel shared hosting have?

I can find version information about all of the software that I use on GoDaddy's cPanel shared hosting, but I cannot find which flavour of Linux it uses.

I can see that it uses Linux version 2.6 (really?! How outdated can you get?), but does it use Debian, CentOS, or what?

How do I find out?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey @PaddyLandau. Thanks for posting. Our shared cPanel accounts are currently on CloudLinux 6. That being said, our shared environments lock down many of the admin and configuration systems. You may not be able to employ the security solution you're looking at. Hope this helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Super User II Super User II
Super User II

For software versions I usually refer to the Software versions installed on Hosting accounts chart @PaddyLandau. For the OS version I'm not so sure. I'm sure that you will find a mix of versions and distributions based on server, age, setup, configuration... If you use SSH with something like PuTTY then there are commands you can run to tell you specifically. I'm not sure if the information in available on the front end? I hope that helps?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

@rd Thanks for your reply. I saw the page that you refer to, but it doesn't show the Linux details. Nor have I managed to find it on the front-end. I have also searched for command-line methods, but they all seem to have been disabled on the server, so I can't access them.

I know that shared hosting environments can be locked down a bit @PaddyLandau (to varying degrees). Is there a specific need you have for OS? I know that in virtual (VPS) and dedicated server environments you can choose distributions. I believe the choices are CentOS 6, CentOS 7, Fedora and Ubuntu?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

I was looking at a security solution, and the route depended on the type of Linux that was in use. That's why I wanted to know. I can find another way around it, but it would have been convenient to know! It's odd that they don't tell you, and bizarre that the Linux version is so old — it must be hard to keep it secure with such ancient software!

Not all hosting is created equal and from server to server you will find a vastly different infrastructure even within the same company @PaddyLandau. The variation of setups is probably why there is nothing documented (that we can find). New servers will undoubtedly have newer software but I don't know that there is a standard or base? Sorry that I don't have a more definitive answer for you.

I understand that you would like to know so that you can best select other software. Perhaps select a software solution First and let that drive your selection. When you have a specific requirement I would contact support, perhaps they can point you to the hosting solution that best fits your need?

Hey @PaddyLandau. Thanks for posting. Our shared cPanel accounts are currently on CloudLinux 6. That being said, our shared environments lock down many of the admin and configuration systems. You may not be able to employ the security solution you're looking at. Hope this helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post

@JesseW , thank you for posting this!