cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

default index page not working correctly

I changed the index.html page content. When i review the changes in any editor the changes are reflected. when i load the index page to the site the changes are not reflected when i reference just the url. if i reference the url with the index.html the page displays correctly.

www.anysite.com the index page is incorrect.

www.anysite.com/index.html the page is correct.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@rsaassoc 

It is possible that the script is browser / OS based

The way I would do this to "rebuild" / test the site is move over just the code between your content starts here and content ends here and see what you get - this is a bit of finding the needle in the haystack, but there has to be code somewhere causing this issue - Unfortunately as it seems to be server side code - looking at this in a browser as a website visitor really doesn't help you have to look at the source code in the file itself 

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
Super User IV

@rsaassoc 

Have you tried viewing the site in a private browsing window as this sounds like a cache issue.

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

I just tried and still the same results.

the index page that shows for just the url has some of the old text and all of the new text.

I renamed the index page and both with and without index.html showed the 404 error.

when i changed the name to default.htm it functions the same but the other pages that reference the index page have the 404 error.

i tried to see if there was a data file that may have the old data as there are some js and i could not find any such file.

if there was a source that was using data from another places than i would think that the index page would fail no matter where is was called from.

very weird.

i may just delete all the text for that section, reload the index file and see if that changes.

thanks for your help.

@rsaassoc 

Can you post your live domain and I can see what I'm seeing

www.rsa-assoc.com is wrong. all the text before the list of services should not be there.

when you click on my logo the same index.html is executed and is correct.

@rsaassoc 

It seems like you have 2 different pages - can you send a snapshot of your file manager.

rsaassoc_0-1589464266264.png

@rsaassoc 

I think I just found the issue - around line 63 in your code there is some script which seems to be adding that block of code / content - this only is showing without the index.html

I would look at the source code for your index.html file and see what you see - If you would like to post a screen capture of editing it the file manager I can confirm this.

rsaassoc_0-1589474495495.png

@rsaassoc 

That looks fine - the only other thing I can think of at this point is that either 

A) you have an .htaccess file which is causing a different page to be loaded 

B) there is something in one of the scripts that is adding that code when you visit the sites without specifying the page

Something to test would be to rename index.html to index-new.html and see if the site still loads - I'm guessing it will be broken - if it loads that 100% says there is some other page loading if it is broken then the index file is loading but some other script is inserting the code.

i don't see .htaccess.

i change the index.html to a different name before and both failed.

thanks for all your help.

@rsaassoc 

If you have .htaccess it would be hidden so you need to make sure the file manager is set to show hidden files.

The next step I would try since we know that changing the file name "breaks" it is to comment out any scripts in header and see what you get - if that solves it then start adding them back, in theory you'll find the one inserting the code into the page.

Hi @rsaassoc,

Welcome to the Community!

Just a few things you may want to confirm within the File Manager of your hosting plan. 

First, if this is your primary domain on the account, be sure your website files are all in the "public_html" folder (root folder), not a level up, outside of this folder. 

Then upon entering your domain in a browser, GoDaddy hosting will look in this folder first and identify your home page in the order shown in this article. Check to see if the home page you want to display is named as a file with higher priority. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

The issue is not resolved although all the responses make sense. I have tried the site from a number of computers, private browsing, changing the index.html, deleting the index.html and creating a new index page from a virgin template and still the same issue.

Interestingly I tried from my windows server 2012 with IE 10 and no issue.

Really confused.

@rsaassoc 

What if you put this for your HTML for index.html and then go with and without index.html in the URL. As I mentioned I believe what is causing this is a script in another file.

There is code somewhere that says if loading the root of the site to add that content

Assuming this works and doesn't have any extra code in it when on the root of the site, I would then start adding each element back to your home page - start with the elements and then add the JS / CSS back after - at some point it the code will show and that will tell you where you need to look to get it removed

<html>
<head>Test Page</head>
<body>
<h1>This is a test</h1>
</body>
</html>

your test suggestion worked. nothing added to root/index

i will start to move the elements one at a time.

I don't understand where the data comes from. I would think it has to be in a file or script or something. When i search out certain terms in the entire directory i do not find anything to do with the data that is being added back.

Where does it get the data?

@rsaassoc 

The search in cPanel doesn't look at the content of the file but rather the file names - also you would need to search for    For%20%over%2030   as the code is encoded so all the spaced are %20

What is strange is it looks like your own content vs a hacked content - but there is definitely a script or something referenced adding that code. 

rsaassoc_0-1590076135495.png

this is access from my 2012 sever using IE10. as you can see it is in root and displaying correctly.

@rsaassoc 

It is possible that the script is browser / OS based

The way I would do this to "rebuild" / test the site is move over just the code between your content starts here and content ends here and see what you get - this is a bit of finding the needle in the haystack, but there has to be code somewhere causing this issue - Unfortunately as it seems to be server side code - looking at this in a browser as a website visitor really doesn't help you have to look at the source code in the file itself 

View solution in original post