Save and export emails using Thunderbird
There's a free way to export emails using Thunderbird on Mac or Windows. Then you can add your email account and save the emails from your inbox and outbox as .eml files. After your emails are save as .eml files, you can upload them to most email clients, including Outlook.
Before you can save your emails as .emls, you'll need to:
- Install Thunderbird.
- Add my email to Thunderbird
- Create a folders on your computer for your email inbox and sent emails.
Export emails as .eml files
Saving your emails as .eml files works for any email folders within your inbox and sent emails.
- Open the Inbox folder that contains the emails you want to save and export.
- Select all the emails you want to save.
- Right click, click Save selected emails and select EML format.
- The last folder you created displays, you may need to search for it if it doesn't open as the default folder.
- Click Open. Your emails save as .eml files in the folder, depending on the number of emails this can take a few minutes.
Repeat the process for all the emails within folders you want to save and export.
Import .eml files to Outlook or other email clients
- Open Outlook, create new folders where you can store your old emails. (Right click in section of your choice > New Folder > Enter folder name > Tap Enter.
- From your computer, open the folder(s) where you saved your emails as files.
- Drag and drop the .eml files into your new Outlook folder. Your .eml files add to Outlook as new emails that you can access any time.
You can use the same type of process to move email files to other email clients.