What is Domain Protection?
Select a question to see its answer:
- How is Domain Protection different from Domain Privacy?
- What are my Domain Protection options?
- Can I change my Domain Protection?
- How will people be able to contact me?
- How can I verify domain ownership?
How is Domain Protection different from Domain Privacy?
Domain Privacy is automatically added to all eligible domains registered with GoDaddy. Domain Privacy will automatically replace their domain contact info with substitute details from our privacy partner, Domains By Proxy®. But protecting your domain is about more than keeping your contact info private. Domain Protection helps secure your domain by preventing unauthorized domain actions, such as transferring a domain or making DNS updates, and avoiding accidental domain expiration if your credit card on file expires.
What are my Domain Protection options?
GoDaddy offers different levels of Domain Protection so you can choose which option works best for you.
- Full Domain Protection: Prevent unauthorize domain actions, such as transferring away, changing nameservers and editing domain contact info. We'll make sure you're the one making those changes by verifying your identity first and avoiding unexpected changes to your domains.
- Ultimate Domain Protection: Have you ever replaced your credit card, but forgot to update some of your automatic renewals, resulting in cancellations? Ultimate Domain Protection includes the benefits of Full Domain Protection, and it also helps keep your domains from canceling unexpectedly because of failed billing. We'll automatically turn on auto-renew to keep your domain renewed, and if the domain does expire, we'll hang on to it for 90 days to give you time to renew it manually.
- Domain Ownership Protection: Some domains aren't eligible for Domain Privacy, but they can still be protected. Domain Ownership Protection has the same coverage as our Ultimate Domain Protection and was created to directly support these domain extensions.
- .au, .com.au, .net.au, .org.au
- .es, .com.es, .nom.es, .org.es
- .in, .co.in, .net.in, .org.in, .firm.in, .gen.in, .ind.in
You might see some domains with other Domain Protection names, like Full Domain Privacy & Protection or Ultimate Domain Protection & Security. These are our legacy protection offerings, and you'll see them stick around until the associated domain is canceled, expires or the Domain Protection is downgraded.
Can I change my Domain Protection?
Yes, you can change your protection level at any time. You can upgrade your protection to gain additional security features, or downgrade your protection to remove features. Your eligible domains will always have Domain Privacy available, regardless of your Domain Protection plan.
How will people be able to contact me?
All domains eligible for Domain Privacy have immediate access to a private email address that will show in the public WHOIS directory. When messages are sent to this private email address, you can set it to forward the messages to your preferred email address. You'll be able to stay in touch with anyone trying to contact the domain owner, while still keeping your personal email address private.
How can I verify domain ownership?
We recommend adding a TXT record to your DNS zone file to verify domain ownership. This is the best option to maintain your privacy while proving your domain ownership. Or, you can turn off Domain Privacy, which will display all domain contact info.
- Set up 2-step verification for the best security on your domains and account.
- Turn on auto-renew to continue your domain registration uninterrupted.